show us your wood...

Found 2 nice pieces, I think they will be going on some HHH Blanks I ordered :)

Wood.jpg

Dave, I think you beat me out on that bidding. I see you're a pen turner too... that is also another one of hobbies... its the crack of the hobby world. If you like amboyna, there is a fellow in Garland who imports it. He sells two me once or twice a year when his larger shipments come in, if you're ever interested, I'll give you a heads up.

Thanks! I used to make knives years ago, but don't have time to do the blades anymore, so I started using some of the nicer "kits" or blanks and building those up. Always looking for some nice wood!

A friend gave me several hunks of hard maple, most of it is nicely spalted, but some has a blister pattern in the grain. Waiting on my shed to set up my bandsaw to start blocking these out!! Gonna get them dyed and stabilized eventually once they are dry enough.

blistermaple1.jpg

spalt1.jpg

spalt3.jpg

Chunk of stabilized Black Ash burl on a kitchen knife:
5pettywow.jpg

But I would have to say my Fave so far is Spalted Stabilized Maple Burl like on the bottom two of these!
trioTFK2.jpg

Here are just a few of my pieces of wood.
101_3090.jpg

from top, Canary Wood, Osage Orange, Blue dyed Box Elder Burl, Red Dyed Missouri Dogwood, Bocote, Cocabolo.

Here is some more of what I have.
101_3094.jpg
stabilized spalted Maple
101_3095.jpg
Green dyed stabilized Box Elder Burl
101_3100.jpg
more spalted Maple

GDRWood2.jpg

GDRWood.jpg

Anyone care to guess?? :) Went to a Game Dinner last week and raffled off a Santoku Knife blank where the winner could choose his own handle. He choose this piece of wood, looks really cool! But it's gonna take a few layers of Tru Oil to seal and fill the grain, even though it's been stabilized.

Feeling a little BLUE!

Attachments

• BURL $(KGrHqRHJBgE8e5!l1rpBPT(brCNqg~~60_57.jpg
    BURL $(KGrHqRHJBgE8e5!l1rpBPT(brCNqg~~60_57.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 3
  • BURL $(KGrHqVHJCEE9EGdKqp)BPT(bnCthw~~60_57.jpg
    BURL $(KGrHqVHJCEE9EGdKqp)BPT(bnCthw~~60_57.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 3
  • BURL $(KGrHqZ,!p4E8Wqqb0BUBPTVkPsEu!~~60_57.jpg
    BURL $(KGrHqZ,!p4E8Wqqb0BUBPTVkPsEu!~~60_57.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 3
  • BURL $(KGrHqR,!nQE8Yt8y!m7BPTVmREqjw~~60_57.jpg
    BURL $(KGrHqR,!nQE8Yt8y!m7BPTVmREqjw~~60_57.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 8
  • BURL $(KGrHqVHJ!8E9!5Vc!DcBPTVBsyIIw~~60_57.jpg
    BURL $(KGrHqVHJ!8E9!5Vc!DcBPTVBsyIIw~~60_57.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 5
  • BURL $(KGrHqJ,!rkE88hC-PT0BPTU9fTvww~~60_57.jpg
    BURL $(KGrHqJ,!rkE88hC-PT0BPTU9fTvww~~60_57.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 3
Some beautiful wood, gents! I don't have much stabilized burl in the collection, but I hope to change that once I get back to work. Really love the look of those babies!!

Ok I just dont want Randy H to really start bragging lmao this Ironwood burl weighs about 30 pounds maybee a little more 15x12x10
2011-10-26004.jpg
HPIM2521.jpg
PICT0003-2.jpg
PICT0004-4.jpg
PICT0001-3.jpg
PICT0002-2.jpg

Dont make me open my stash, lmao collecting burl is like having a stash of dope lol I had a buying craze 2 years ago. I know its not over. kellyw

Back