Shawn Ellis Competition Cutter

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
I decided to visit a local gun show while home this weekend out of boredom. The last gun show I went to in my home town was over ten years ago (they are generally horrible shows). Imagine my surprise when I not only found there to be a diverse group of sellers of firearms, but also quite a few quality blades dispersed throughout the tables.

Of course, I was a bit disappointed to find that one of the sellers at the show had picked up a WWII Japanese Marine Gunto with stainless blade. Man, I wish I had seen it prior to her getting her hands on it. There was even a Vietnam Ers Randall Model 3.

As I walked toward the back of the room, I stumbled upon a table with numerous firearms and a small glass case that immediately caught my attention. He had a small amber stag handled Jim Crowell knife that immediately caught my eye and also a nice looking bowie by Shawn Ellis.

I decided to snatch up the Ellis bowie as a target of opportunity. I believe the handle is walnut and it has a antiqued brass fittings. One the back of the leather and stingray sheath it has ink writing that says,

"MADE 9-2-05
3-pcs 1095 FORGED WELDED
Competed Spirit of Steel Show 2005
7th Place"

Here's a quick pic I snapped of it.

Shawn Ellis Competition Cutter.jpg

Great find. That's exactly why I posted a thread about guns shows in the Collector Corner. More of the better knife dealers and custom knife makers are coming back to the guns show because they are local and less costly than doing most of the bigger knife shows. The guns shows in my area almost always have a good seletion of the batter factory knives and a lot of customs for sale.

I passed on the Crowell. It wasn't really my style. It was a simple drop point blade with tapered tang and amber stag scales. I'm not a fan of stag and I would rather buy direct from Jim. After putting my name on that huge fighter at his shop at the AKA Shop visit, I probably need to start saving all of my pennies for it.

I may or may not hang on to this one. I need to sell off a few If I'm going to keep it. I guess I need to clean up my collection and let it evolve.

Back