Shapes of handles?

I like to look at and handle different knives to get an idea what works for me. See what things you like and dislike on some different type knives. Once I get an idea, i sketch it out on paper and make a cardboard mock up of the knife. The mock up give you something to hold in your hand and see how it feels, if you don't like it, make another one. You can also make a 3D mock up out of soft wood.

I use a slack belt for the rough shaping, then use files and sand paper for the final shaping. The files and sandpaper, although slower, give you better contol of what you remove. I stop and hold the knife a alot as I shape the handle to make sure it feels right or if I need to do a little more shaping on it.

Ric

Or does anyone have any suggestions on different hand tools to shape handles? I have a craftsman 2x42 grinder and it wont get close curve areas on the bottom of the handle. I am thinking small files or different dowl sizes with sandpaper.

Links to files would help a lot. Thanks guys!

I use the same grinder for everything I do. and between that and various sanding drum sized (in my drill press, cranked up on high, but light pressure) I haven't had much trouble with anything I've done so far. You just have to be very mindful about your grinder being very fast, and you will either take off WAY more than you want to, or you will scortch your handle material...

the other trick I have been using with the grinder, is to use the lower wheel to hog-out material for the palm swell. It gives you a good start on the overall shape and then you can change to other methods for blending and finishing it up.

There is a shadow on the right side that makes this one look non-symmetrical...
20111231_131356.jpg

2011-08-02%25252017.24.09.jpg

There is a lot more to a handle than just its shape. You have to think about how the knife as a whole is intended to be used, then design your handle in relationship to the point and the edge of the knife. Do you want the point centered with the handle? Do you want the cutting edge in line with the bottom of the handle and your fingers, or do you want that edge below your fingers (e.g. some kitchen knives)? Is the knife the type of tool that might need to be held in different hand holds (e.g. blade up for field dressing/gutting a deer). If so, then a lot of curves may make one hold very comfortable, and others not so much. Some handles will need to be relatively straight, some with a gentle curve to fit the palm, some with a little bit of drop to keep the point a little higher than the hand without excessive upsweep in the blade.

I generally use a variety of tools to shape my handles. A jig saw or coping saw to cut the slabs or block close to shape, a variety of rasps for further shaping (including a half round for those tight curves), a Foredom with a rotary file bit or sanding sleeve, a slack belt on a belt grinder, etc.

Back