Servicemember Knife Build "Recruiting Drive"

I have an email out this morning to Spec Ops to see what they may be willing to do to help us with some Combat Master sheaths :cool:. As soon as I hear, I'll let ya'll know.
We might want to do a count and see who needs one, it sounds like at least a few guys are planning on making kydex rigs.

Justin , I think we might want all the sheaths Big Smitty can get . We have many guys who want to make more than one knife . Even if they don't get used in this batch , they're sure to get used in the next .

We're going to be working with 3/16" for this build UncleBilly. The blanks will be approximately 2" from widest points (thumb ramp and bottom of tang).

I think we all are Denny. Bill T. has been instrumental in planning the logistics of the build and we have spoken and/or messaged one another just about every day for the past week.

Update

Bill T. has graciously offered to handle the logistics of the build. With that being said, I need for all of our makers to please message Bill with your contact and shipping information so that he has it on hand for when we get everything put together.

Thank you guys.

After I get home from work tonight and go over a few more things, I'll post " The Plan " . I think Murph and I have most of the details worked out pretty good,and everyone will be happy with what we came up with. Thanks, Bill

Ok Guys , Here's " The Plan " . I'm gonna try to show all the moves that need to be made :
1) Aldo sends steel to Dave -Aldo has donated the steel and paid the postage to ship it .​
2) Dave cuts out all the blanks and sends them to me . Reason - he shouldn't send them to each person , He's doing enough with the cutting and he's also making a knife . His shipping will be around $20 to get them to me .​
3) Boss ships micarta (which he is supplying ) , bolts and lanyard tube ( that I am supplying ) to me .​
4) I ship to each maker 1 blank w/ micarta, bolts and lanyard tube . Cost - around $140 - $150 w/tracking .​
5) Makers grind their blanks and send them to Brad at Peter's Heat Treating - By The Deadline ( to be announced ) . Yes , we want them ground first , then Professionaly HT'ed .​
6) Brad then ships all blades to me . Reason - He's doing enough w/heat treat . I think it cost $1000 just to turn on his equipment . Again , cost to ship to me , aroung $20 .​
7) I send HT'ed blades to makers . Again the shipping $140 - $150 .​
8) Makers finish blades and send them to ( to be announced ) for Knife Dog stencil , then Dispersal to Lucky Soldier .​
Some key things to remember , each person who signed up has to pay his own shipping to Brad and to the final person , around $10 total .​
Also , before your blades get sent to Brad , you MUST dremel your name and your # (the list # in this thread) on the tang so I know which one is yours . I can't stress that enough .​
There's a couple of reasons to have someone other than Dave and Brad do the shipping . But by far the best is this - I'm a mailman - If I get the stuff shipped to me at work , I can do it all there . No trips to the PO , no hassles with the material , everything is there . It just makes sense .​
Having the last person put on the stencil makes sense too . This way we only need 1 stencil as opposed to 1 for every maker .​
We just need to raise around $300 to pay for the shipping to each person . I'm soliciting my co-workers on Monday for donations . I can probably get at least $100 , if not a little more from them .​
If Big Smitty can get sheaths , I'm gonna ask if he would like to have me pass them out to whoever needs one . It'll save alot again on shipping .​
Also , if you have offered material to help in the build , I'll offer the same . You can ship to me , and I'll randomly mix in your stuff . Or you can pick someone on the list and sent it to them . Either way , what you're offering will get used .​
At this time , we plan on 1 knife per maker . There are a couple reasons , but the most important is we want to keep this 1st one simple so we can work out the kinks for next time .​
Yes , I said next time . Since we now have our own forum for this , ( Thanks again , Boss ) , We plan in some manner , to have this as an ongoing thing . But we have to get through this one first .​
I know we're heading to the holiday season , so we'll try to be realistic with all deadlines . But by the same token , please do the same for this Build , be realistic . If you find you need help , or something has happened to keep you from completing your blade , lets us know . We will do all we can , and you will not be left behind ....​

I want to thank you for taking on such a monumental task, Bill. It sounds like you have thought of pretty much everything. If you need help with anything please let me know, I can contribute to the shipping costs when the time comes.
This has become a much bigger effort than I had imagined, my most sincere thanks to everyone who has brought it here.

I also want to Thank You , Justin . Without you , this would not have happened . You got the ball rolling , and we now have over 25 makers on board and our own Forum !! Thanks , Bill

We're going to be working with 3/16" for this build UncleBilly. The blanks will be approximately 2" from widest points (thumb ramp and bottom of tang).

Sorry Murph, I have 1/8" and 1/4" but no 3/16". If I did, it you be yours for the build. I would like to build one but I dont think my skill set is there yet. It will be fun to watch it come together.

UncleBilly

The scales I will be kicking in will be the mcam g10 I just had made.
It is the g10 on this knife (not the back ground material which is 1/8" digital g10)

elmax-with-mcamg10-handle.jpg

I've never worked A2, but if I like it, I may get in touch and offer to buy some from you if you have a surplus.

That's some cool lookin stuff Boss and adds yet another level of "KD Custom" to the project. I have a PM incoming in a few.

No news on the sheaths yet. I will follow up tomorrow. If we get some help from Spec Ops we will get the sheaths to Bill T. His plan sound good!

Bill, you must have put a lot of work into your plan because it's an excellent one. It should make this a fairly smooth running project. I'm a newby maker and it's good to know there is support out there if I run into a prob............an opportunity. I had a meeting with my VA counselor this a.m. and told him what we were doing. I swear I saw a tear come to his eye.

Boss, that mcam G10 looks great.

KnifeDogs charity fund will kick in $100 towards shipping expenses. This is a good cause... When the funds are needed, send me a PM and I will send you a Gunpal or PayPal for a $100...

Back