Second Sheath WIP

Gliden07

IMG_20181020_3917.jpgIMG_20181020_49178.jpg

This is my second leather sheath WIP. Much better than the first. I need to get some needles what size do I need and who do I get them from? Need to stich it and mold still.

I use the size o from tandy's 07. I got a 10 pack and am still on the first pair after 50 plus sheaths so they have a good strong eye. I wipe the end of my thread over the stub end of a bees wax candle a few times to make the thread more easily threaded through the eye.

IMG_20181027_58421.jpg

Finished second sheath a few days ago. Definitely came out better than the first but still need work. I used 8 once leather pretty heavy for the knives I'm doing may go down to 7 ounce?

Keep making them to improve.

I have made 6 sheaths, only the last2 were passable, the improvement soon comes.

At first I sent away for some proper leather and soon wasted it, so I thought, car boot sales, I bought some old brief/music cases made of good leather, cut all the good bits out and I use them to make my sheathsto save money whilst learning.
Tight old git. lol

I can't call up a picture of what I'm talking about but I think that I can describe it to you. I chucked up a drapery needle into my drill press and clamped a board to the stage of the press. The board has two holes drill in it. One is in about the center, no reason to be precise, for punching needle holes when I can lay the work flat like when I sew the end of the belt loop down. It has a second hole very near the edge so that I can punch the edge of the sheath after gluing the sides and the welt in. Prepunching the holes makes it a lot easier to sew with the needles by hand.

Folding part of the sheath over to make the belt loop is quite functional but if you cut your strap and glue and sew the top end skin side to skin side, fold it down and then glue and sew the flesh side to the skin side to make a loop it would look a little better. I think that you would also find the dye job to look a little more even if you dye the sheath after assembly. I use a sponge brush to apply the dye liberally. After the dye drys I apply gum tragacanth to the cut edges of the sheath and burnish them smooth. After that I apply a good leather wax to the sheath.

Doug

Just a P.S., when punching the holes in the sheath with the drill press I'm not running the drill. I'm just using the arms on it to press the drapery needle through the leather. It's much easier than using an awl.

Got my sheath making DVD today. Second to none this is the best how to video I have ever seen. It is a 2 DVD set. I'm one into it. It might just be me. If you have a question you did not pay enough attention. He leaves nothing out. It's been a long day of ripping sheetrock out. Disk two will be tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. The maker is an old hippie. How funny. I'm sorry to say he passed in 2016. That is a loss. His name is Chuck Burrows.

Back