scale fasteners

Dynamik1

Hi all,

I keep seeing bolts used more than pins for scale fasteners. Can anybody cue me in? What are they? Where can I get?

Besides cutlers rivets, which you also may be seeing, the bolts are just that bolts of some description that screw down over a threaded bolt that is then ground off flush with the handle. Jantz carries them and so does USA Knife Maker Supply. Jantz also carries step bits to drill the scales with. Cutlers rivets have a male and female parts that slide together under pressure and hold by friction. Jantz also carries step bits for them too. All of them will give better mechanical attachment for the scales but I would still use them with an epoxy.

Doug

Loveless Bolts are my favorite because they are the strongest of the mechanical connections. Then there are Corby's and other mechanicals. These and a few others are available here at Midwest knifemakers and Jantz supply is another. Buy the mechanicals and a step drill that fits them at the same from the same supply house.

When I use Loveless Bolts with g-Flex epoxy I know that handle is strong and sealed against moisture on the tang.

Some do a series of 6-8 pins and mushroom dome them. while that looks nice and on a period Bowie knife piece is the way they did it then, I personally think a few Loveless or Corby's provide a stronger bond for the scales.

This is an example of what I am asking about.
I dont think these are Corby or Loveless

I have looked on Jantz and other sites but don't see them...
bolts.JPG

Those look like Torx three piece fasteners. They have stepped or straight barrels that go inside the hole in the tang and then screws are applied from each side. You, of course, would not grind these flat to the contour of the handle but would leave the handle flat with no more than rounded off edges. You would also need the appropriate size Torx head wrenches to attach them. Jantz sells a full set of wrenches for about $5 or an individual wrench for the same price. I imagine that you have that problem figured out already. Seriously, I got a full set at a knife show for about that amount.

Jantz's catalog has step drill bits for them and instructions on how they are used. Tracy at USA Knife Makers Supply may also list instructions on his on-line catalog.

Doug

Last edited:
Back