Scagel Style Damascus Hunter

Bill Behnke

This is my first knife of 2014 finishing it on the 3rd. It is of Scagel influence in handle only. The blade is a rose bud pattern of 1084 and 15n20 steels. The guard is 416 SST, with the spacers of .040" 410 SST and black spacer material. The wood is stabilized Curly Koa and the rest is white tail antler. I also made the sheath.

Thanks for looking,
Bill

koaantler.jpgkoantler1.jpg

That looks great Bill. In general I'm not a fan of Scagel style knives, but I can appreciate them when they're well done like this one. What I LOVE is the damascus. I think I can see the answer, but can you tell us about how you made the pattern?

Travis,
I used a die that I made out of 1 1/2" dia. of H13 steel that I machined 3 concentric rings on one end of it. I use a hydraulic press to imprint the die, then grind the blade flat. I don't have the die at home right now as I have it on loan but will post a picture as soon as I get it back. Sometimes I will overlap the rings which will give a neat pattern too.
Thanks for asking.
Bill

That makes sense to me. I was thinking you probably drilled stepped holes and then pressed it back out flat, which would give a similar but smaller result. I may have to try it, next time Im making damascus. How thick did you leave your stock before pressing and grinding?

Last edited:
Travis, In answer to your question id that it depends on would how thick will the blade be when finished. You leave the blade thick enough so it won't be thinner than what you want finished. I hope this helps.
Bill

Back