San Mai Bowie

James-G

It cooling off here and we had some rain and a nice weekend so. I decided i needed to do a big bowei knife. Found a piece of wrought rim of a buggy about 8 in long not for sure how thing, Drawed it by hand . to about a thick as the file i want to use folded the metal in half. cut it , then took the three pieces to my next door neightbor and had him weld the three piece with his 220 stick welder . Put it in my big charcoal forge and let it heat up. coated with with flux when it started to get warm pulled it out when it started to fume. FLuxed and hammer for the next coupke hours and feed the forge charcoal.Got tired and burned 3 in piece so i cut it off and place it in the forge to normalize for the night. Sunday i put my drawing dies in my jack press, cleaned the forge out and got all the slag out , brought the 6 in thick bar up to temp where it started to fume , used my press to draw out the billet working out the from the center to the end, then flipped it over and did the otherside. Next i use a squre flat hammer to draw the bar out and get rid of the half moons in the biltet. Drawed the billet out some more had it act up by tearing a weld fixed it and another normalzed it agion . Today it worked on the bevales forged like a dream and acted like a bar of steel.

San

Back