RWL-34 or CPM154

BrandantR

This is a question for you metallurgists out there. What is the difference between RWL-34 and CPM154 steels? From what I've been able to determine, both have basically the same chemical composition, both are made using powder metal technology, and both are patterned after ATS-34. I do understand that CPM154 is manufactured in the USA by Crucible Industries and that RWL-34 is made in Sweden. Is there any real difference in these two metals, or are they two names for the same product, or do they truly have different qualities and heat treating requirements?

Thanks for the links, Scott. I had the crucible data sheet for the CPM154, but the Damasteel data for their RWL-34 is great info. Anyone want to chime in on why they choose to use one steel over the other? Does the addition of vanadium to the RWL-34 give measurable benefits to the steel? Increased hardness, increased wear resistance? I've used CPM154 almost exclusively for the last few years without any complaints. I'm to the point in my knife-making adventures that I'm getting curious and interested in trying some other steels.

Back