Rules of Knifemaking (Just for fun!)

Remember your dust mask before, not after you finish grinding.
Grind the knife blade not your finger tips.

1. Design/build = Do this part 2 or 3 times.
2. You must live to be 135 to develop the eye to see scratches that should have come out with the previous grit.
3. D7 may be able to withstand a direct lightning strike or having a train derailed on top of it does not mean it's the best knife steel.

Always remember to put a hat on under your full face mask before working at the buffer,unless of coarse your into the whole hair wax thing.

When you first start making knives, always have a loving wife who understands that this hobby can pay for itself. But asks when it will, when you decide you need another tool or machine to make it easier to make a better knife to pay for the hobby.

This is for aspiring knifemakers.
You are forbidden from posting a WIP,with 100,000 photos of a knife shaped object you formed from a file,lawnmower blade,leaf spring,etc.

No hacking up g-10 and micarta with deep blister-causing grooves from files and/or dremel bits and calling it finished or worse yet, "Tactical because it has improved grip". Take the time and effort to learn how to properly finish g-10 and micarta.

:)

no hacking up g-10 and micarta with deep blister-causing grooves from files and/or dremel bits and calling it finished or worse yet, "tactical because it has improved grip". Take the time and effort to learn how to properly finish g-10 and micarta.

amen brother!

You are forbidden from posting a WIP,with 100,000 photos of a knife shaped object you formed from a file,lawnmower blade,leaf spring,etc.
I only posted 99,999 photos of my planer blade knife,is that ok? Lol I do see the point your making Calvin.

No hacking up g-10 and micarta with deep blister-causing grooves from files and/or dremel bits and calling it finished or worse yet, "Tactical because it has improved grip". Take the time and effort to learn how to properly finish g-10 and micarta

Amen! Shout it out brother!

Name your children G10 and 1095, but don't ever yell "oh Micarta" while having "alone" time with your wife.

1. No matter how many grinding belts you have, you always need (want) one more. The same goes for files, bits, and ____________ (fill in the blank).

2. No matter how many of the above you possess, they'll never be a substitute for determination, diligence, and an appreciation of 'the work of your hands'.

3. Knifemaking is a lot like 'life'- just when I think I have it mastered, I go and put a grind mark right where it doesn't belong! Note to self: stay humble.

Awww...I was just about to start one
69a8be589453049173d1faa330fde365.jpg

A few we have laying around at work.

Do not make folders that look like bugs or the aftermath of an industrial accident unless your name is Peter Martin. Because nobody does it as well as he does.:biggrin:

Back