Rough-n-Ready Cowboy Bowie

Thanks for all the comments fellas !

You guys are right about the lanyard hole. There are documented examples from at least as early as 1840 but they were pretty un-common in that era. That Elk and Brass is great lookin but it's not the grippiest handle in the world so I figured I'd give the option of a Lanyard.

Paul, Gravel tooling is quick easy and is actually a good looking finished product if the alternative is just a plain flat sheath. I've heard rumors that some sheaths cost near as much as this whole package so I feel like I did pretty well of keeping sheath time down to maintain the pricepoint I was shooting for without sacrificing the integrity of the sheath. Any how... please feel free to use the idea as you wish.

Bruce, I'm still trying stuff out, LOL, and double bolsters was something I'd been wanting to do. Also wanted to give a go at the elk which I cut from a beam piece. I really didn't think I was going to pull it off without getting into the pith because there is such a small amount of error but it all worked out.

Using knives is the fun part ! It surely began my knife addiction when I was a youngster and not much has changed since then. Kitchen, camp, hunting, or just sharpening a pencil are always a pleasure. Stepping up to testing with 2x4's and hanging rope may very well spur a secondary addiction, LOL.

Thanks again fellas, Josh

Just a little other point of view on the Lanyard hole. If it is a knife I would use hard and heavy I would really like the option of a lanyard. I would just use a loop to insert my hand through, to prevent loosing the knife during use.If it is a light use knife, or a "looker" then I'm not so much for them.

Thanks for all the comments fellas !

Using knives is the fun part ! It surely began my knife addiction when I was a youngster and not much has changed since then. Kitchen, camp, hunting, or just sharpening a pencil are always a pleasure. Stepping up to testing with 2x4's and hanging rope may very well spur a secondary addiction, LOL.

Thanks again fellas, Josh

It sounds like the ABS test is coming soon. Have you bent a 10" bowie in the vice yet? Are you ABS?

Josh,

I like this knife so much I forgot to remember that I don't like stag or bone handles! Great flow and good look over all. The price is right too, except for that nagging around the corner Blade Show terror. I always know after I get there that I should have brought fifteen or twenty thousand more dollars with me!

Bruce,

I joined the ABS in January but I'm still stock removing at this point. Since making the decision to go to Arkansas for the intro class I've been saving every red cent I can manage for the trip. Other than my bare minimum USA knifemakers orders I've actually done well and now that I'm 2 weeks away from heading to Arkansas I'm really STOKED and have saved plenty for the trip and then some.

I already got a 148# Peter Wright and about half the parts to build a Stacy Apelt design PID controlled forge so after my class (and possibly Blade Show the week after returning from Arkansas) I'll have my forge up and running in no time.

To answer your question now, LOL, I have not done the bend test at all yet but will be looking forward to doing it at the school. Testing is a couple years away still but it's never too soon to start practicing , right ?

Rock, I made my first trip to Blade last year on a bare bones budget and still had an awesome time. I bought a Blue dyed and stabilized block of zebrawood there just so I could say I got SOMETHING at the show, LOL. I used that wood last weekend for my wifes Mothers Day gift, a 1095 sankotu with hamon of course. So I do understand the blade show $$$$ blues , LOL.

-Josh

Josh, very solid and handsome knife and sheath!

Steve
---------
Potomac Forge
---------
IN GOD WE TRUST

That's a winner in my book, 2thumbs
I would get a bit nervous using a big knife W/O a guard on it though.:D

Beautiful Bowie knife you made there, Josh. I like lanyards on large knives for when things get a bit slippery gutting out a large whitetail, etc. Great leather work on that sheath, too. Anyone in the single action community would be PROUD to have that hanging on their gunbelt. Rick.

Back