Rigid Copper Tube

Rob Nelson

Anybody use rigid copper tubing on their handles? In comparison to brass or stainless, is it easy to work with? Looking at Tracy's copper corby's made me think a matching copper lanyard tube might be nice; any recommendations as to wall thickness?

Thanks in advance!

You probably know that unlike brass (that has alloys) copper will really oxidize rapidly. Some like it. The Statue of Liberty was intended to turn the hue of green. Hand oils/salts probably affect copper. Also, copper is very soft and pliable. It tends to fill up the teeth of a file because it is so soft but it is so much easier to work with than stainless or anything with nickel in it. My 2 cents.

I figured on the Verdi Gris but hadn't thought about the softness. I would think copper Corbys and rigid tube must be less than 100% copper to retain their hardness, at least enough for the screw to thread. Perhaps not so for the tube? I figured it might look good on a whitish scale idea I'm thinking about.

I don't believe you're going to have any reliability concerns using copper.
I know plenty of people who use pure copper for Japanese blade fittings, including habakis, and I'm pretty certain that type of application is a tad more demanding than a lanyard tube.

As to the use of copper for Corbys, keep in mind that both pure copper and copper alloys (including brass) work harden.
With the exception of high heat for annealing purposes, just about anything physically done to the copper (or copper alloy) will harden it.
The only process that will soften it again is annealing, and I highly doubt those Corbys are annealed after being machined.:biggrin:

Yet another consideration is that you're not torquing down a cylinder head. You're installing a set of knife scales.
There may be some who disagree with me, but in this case, my belief is that the fastener should be viewed more as an aid to alignment rather than as a clamping mechanism.
Some people like to forgo use of epoxy when using Corbys, preferring instead to use the fastener as an integral clamp. That's fine, except for the fact that if the scale material itself is not stable (e.g., wood), fastening strictly via mechanical means will probably leave the maker scratching his head at a later date when the minute expansion/contraction leaves a loosened item. And in the case of Corbys, there is no simple method of re-tightening since the means to tighten has been eliminated (slots ground off).
For this reason alone, I would use epoxy to lock the threads in place before finish grinding.

The point is, don't worry about the "strength" of your Corby threads. Use an epoxy as the primary means of attachment strength, and let the Corbys be an alignment aid with visual appeal. When you approach it this way, you don't need to worry about thread reliability; if you're stripping threads, you're over-tightening it.
How long have people been using pins? No great clamping pressure there either, but they work just fine with epoxy.
(As a side note, the use of epoxy also helps alleviate concerns over galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals, but that's another story with a bunch of variables.)

So now that your concerns about copper Corbys are put to rest, what about tubing for lanyards?
Use whatever you want. You said you wanted the visual contrast, so I would go with thick-walled tubing, but thin-walled will be just as functional. After all, how many knives out there have no tube at all- just a simple drilled hole?

For patinas, James provided an excellent link. If you don't want to experiment with making them, a jewelry supplier can hook you up.
One concern here- final installation of the tube into the handle. The order of your finishing methods may be such that an applied patina is sanded/buffed off. In this instance, the patina should be the final thing to be done, but different chemicals react differently with various handle materials. Run a sample test first to determine compatability, checking for adverse effects. Great, now I just sounded like a laundry detergent manufacturer!

Good Luck,
Rob

Outstanding and nicely detailed post, Rob, thank you! While I (slightly) disagree about the order of importance between mechanical fasteners and chemical bonds, I do agree 100% that using BOTH is the way to go.

Over-tightening or over-peening is BAD. All you're doing at that point is squeezing out your sealant/chemical bond and putting undue stress on the fasteners, not to mention the handle material itself. Many are the stories of makers who cracked or busted a nice scale with one extra thump while peening their pins, or trying to flatten a not-quite-flat scale to their tang. No need to torque down, snug is plenty. I use 2 screwdrivers with my fingertips only, to "tighten" my Corby bolts.

It's important to remember that we're not building skyscrapers here... there is only so much pressure you can exert on a knife, and very little of that stress will be directed at tearing the scales or handle off. I'm fully confident that tubing, corby bolts, peened pins etc made of steel, copper, brass, nickel/silver, aluminum etc are plenty strong for our purposes. The difference is mainly cosmetic, and may also depend on if you want them to stay shiny. In my experience, the handle material itself will almost always fail long before the methods used to attach it let go. Do a couple dozen re-handle jobs, or be forced to remove/rebuild a handle you made because of a goof and you'll see what I mean :)

Last edited:
This has been a most enlightening thread, thanks guys!

I like copper visually, and I think it gives an old world feel. I'm obviously not experienced enough to speak intelligently about knifemaking, but I can attest to the fact that it's typically the unseen and not the visible that is holding it all together and giving strength. :biggrin:

I've been using copper tubing normally used to run a water line to a refrigerator. It has a 1/4" OD. I've never used anything else so I can't compare.

Propane tube works well, it is a little thicker than the water lines. Cheap if you know a propane guy!

I use a lot of copper with my darker woods, walnut. If used every day, it will hold its color for a long time. Let it sit in a sheath during the off season, it will start to turn.

Give it a try. It dose get hot fast. Take your time grinding the pins and the tube down.

This-thread-is-useless-without-pictures.gif

Great thread guys, I can add a little more to it as I did a knife a while back with both copper liners (straightened out copper pipe) and domed copper pin (12 gauge ground wire), matter of fact it was my 1st forged blade:35:. I was going to add a copper thong hole using the same type of tubing mentioned earlier, I think by Rob, but the person I made it for didn't like thong holes so I left it off, here are the pics, Rex
BTW, I used either stag or elk , can't remember, for the handle, it didn't pop like I wanted it to, African Black wood would be my choice now, that would POP!

My first forged blade.jpg100_2442.jpg100_2443.jpg

Semper FI Chap!!!
When were you in? I was in 1st Batt, 2nd Marines, 2MarDiv, at Lejuene.
Another thing I meant to say about using copper, I know it corrodes easily, but to fix that, I added a thinned coating of clear nail polish, I did a little test with Renasance Wax, it did hang in as well, the coating will have to be reapplied every so often, but it did not turn any color, and it kept it's polished shiny copper color, Thanks , Rex

Rex, Marines 90-98 as an Arabic Linguist. Later i became a Chaplain, and served with 2/3 for 2 combat tours in Iraq 2006-2009. Currently serving a joint command and have Company I, MCSB under my care. Coming up in a few months I should be on the Iwo Jima to support a couple MEUs.

Appreciate the tips on using copper!

I guess you'd call me a Salty Dog, I was in 84 to 87, I was a GRUNT!! So you're an officer? It's funny to me how much the language and acronymns have changed, most of what you referred to there I didn't understand! MCSB? MEU's, that could be Marine Expeditionary Unit,...maybe? That was a reach for sure, well any way, great to meet ya, Devil Dawg!!! I was very foryunate the ENTIRE time I was in the Corps, I NEVER went into any hostile situations, was headed to the Phillipines when Marcos got over thrown, but they turned us around in mid flight, had someone closer than Okinawa, so we very forunatley got sent back to our own island, so all I ever got to do was prepare for what I thought would be the inevitable, freaked out right after we got back from Okinawa, when Reagan bombed Lybia, tried to get Ghadafy in his house, and missed. I just knew we were headed somewhere other than 2 weeks of leave! But fortunatley for all of us we had a great President then, I could NOT comprehend being in the military right now, the incompetency of the CAC is bewildering.
So far ALL you have done for all of us that got to miss the fight, THANK YOU! Rex

Rex, I actually first put on an Army uniform in '87, 105th Military Intelligence ... our gear was always broke so we did infantry skills in the field and I loved it! Finished out with 5th SF Group and was thinking about reenlisting SF, wound up getting out and enlisting in the Corps 03xx undesignated infantry. Broke my heart when a very large (and I'm 6'4" 220#) SgtMaj informed me how the Corps needed Arabic Linguists to occupy Iraq and I passed the test. So needless to say, going to combat years later with 2nd BN 3rd Marines Infantry was a dream come true, even as a Chaplain! (although occaissionally the old SSgt of Marines slipped out ;) ) Sadly, I had 40 KIA, and several hundred WIA on those two tours including myself. We are at war - our Marines are in the teeth of it - hard to remember some days back here. MEU is Marine Expeditionary Unit, you got that right. MCSB is Marine Crypotlogic Support Battalion, very very smart spooky people supporting things we don't talk about. You were in for some interesting times! In between services I worked for a brother Marine who was in the TOW platoon that got wiped out in Beirut - they had flown him back to the ship for dental just prior to the bombing. Grace of God.

I too miss Reagan, heck I miss Clinton some days and that's saying something. But as long our children and grandchildren, the best and brightest our country has to offer, continue to take an oath to defend our Constitution and our way of life, I'll stick around and do all I can to keep them in the fight, and on the high ground. And now that I'm learning how to make knives, I plan to arm a few of them as well :biggrin:

Chap, I so wish I could spell EW rah, no matter how I try to spell it, it looks stupid, but you know what I mean! Speaking Arabic?! That's one of the hardest languages to learn, short of Chinese and some older forms of Aramaic, which I think are mostly lost. So you were in 2/3, I was in 1/2, where was the 3 Marines based out of? Wasn't that Okinawa? I think that was the 4th Marines, either way we've chewed some of the same dirt!

I too, have planned on getting some of my knives into the hands of (preferably) some Marines, more importantly any of our guys over there that can and will use it and NEED one. Before I do that I really need to make sure I've got everything right, so I don't send them any junk, the very best of what I can make is the only thing I'm willing to send, they deserve no less! Thanks Chap, and again it's nice to meet a fellow Jar Head! Semper Fi, Brother, Rex

I think copper looks really nice.

12022579_1185131538180582_5565089194546154901_o.jpg883195_629644477062627_834404566_o.jpg
I think copper looks really nice. However I wish I could find it in .25 OD and .18 ID. I have been making my own with a drill press which is a pain.

Anybody use rigid copper tubing on their handles? In comparison to brass or stainless, is it easy to work with? Looking at Tracy's copper corby's made me think a matching copper lanyard tube might be nice; any recommendations as to wall thickness?

Thanks in advance!

I use it quite a bit. I use the 1/4" soft rolled stuff. It's around 3/8" on the outside. I use a letter drill for the clearance. Here's one I finished up recently

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back