Red Jungle Dog

Jeremiah Rostig

One of my Temple Knives designed for my personal preferences.Blade is made from 2552 (80WCrV8) 210mm in length and 3,8mm in width.
Tang, like so often, peened over the butt.copper for the ferrule and Padouk root (Dragon Blood Tree)for the handle and the sheath.Knife and sheath are made from the same piece of wood, which was collected by myself in the jungle of Sukkothai Province near Burma border.
Definitely my favourite wood,very easy to work with, always strong, straight, staying flat, doesent warp or shrink, always beautiful and forgiving...i love this stuff, i really do!
High Humidity,salty sea climate and the rainy season with its super heavy rain makes a leather sheath nearly senseless and soft and limb like a pizza slice, that good leather work fouls straight away of the belly, next morning covered with mold again.
so the wodden sheath with the titanium spring works very well, the only thing I really have to care about is the Blade.
Thanks for watching.

I missed this one. It is one of my favorites that I have seen lately. I like it a lot.
Is the steel like what we call 80CrV2 here in the states? (I am beginning to really like that steel).

love the copper work. copper is wonderful.

I missed this one. It is one of my favorites that I have seen lately. I like it a lot.
Is the steel like what we call 80CrV2 here in the states? (I am beginning to really like that steel).

love the copper work. copper is wonderful.

Thanks Kevin!
80WCrV8(2% Tungsteen(W)!!! is by far the tougher steel than 80CrV2, wich has no Tungsteen at all but instead 0.2% Nickel.Carbon and Vanadium are nearly the same.Edge holding ability is about the same, 80CrV2 is much easier to soft anneal, 80WCrV8 likes to air harden a bit and and reliefs hardness more unwilling, cause of the tungsteen.
But both steels are a excellent choice for high performance blades.

Back