Questions about bolsters / pins on slipjoits

J S Machine

I am fixing to do slipjoint number 2. I thought about doing a WIP for it. Would anybody here like to see another one? :cool:

Got a little motivation last night from my fire dept. Talking to my Asst. Chief about MDA. ever year, We collect money by standing in various locations holding a boot. I'm sure many of you have put money in one before..

He suggested that I make a knife, and we raffle off chances to win it. As of right now, we are talking about guaranteed 200 tickets at a cost of around $20 per ticket. If his is done and all tickets sold, this will raise 400 for MDA. Sounds like a winner to me :) Nothing in stone yet, just some ideas. The knife has started though, and I have a few questions about bolsters.

On the first slipjoint I did, I used 410SS for the bolsters. I did not heat treat it and it scratches and mars very easily. The only reason I used 410, was because I already had some other material in 410 and I figured that I would get the same so I would have the same of everything in that respect.

I know that I've seen other makers use 416. Is this superior to 410? If so, why? Do you heat treat it or leave it soft?

2) Pivot pin. Do you heat treat it or leave it soft? What meterial do you use?

3) Regarding the use of damascas for bolsters, how do you hide the pin? I've never done it, so in my mind I see a solid pin in a damascas bolster and it standing out like a sore thumb. Is there some sort of hidden pin trick??

I see a damascas blade on this particular MDA knife, and I possibly see damascas bolsters, but don't know how to get past the pin issue.

Thanks

I use 416, never used 410 so I cant really say about the difference. I dont harden the bolsters or pivot. 416 for the pin as well.
As for Damascus, I have used it with a traditional style pin. I used cable damscus and etched after the pin was in. The pin will show. Other than using screws with a hidden pivot I dont know of any way to hide the pin.
I have thought about using a mosaic made with nickel, the idea being that the pin could be hidden in the nickel of the bolster (using a nickel pin of course).
Good luck for a good cause.

Back