Question re: Copper liners on Carbon Fiber.

Delta Handmade Knives

Hello folks.

A customer has requested that I use copper liners with the carbon fiber scales on his build. This is going to be my first copper liner.

Any and all advise you can spare would be greatly appreciated. Any big no-no's? Optimum thickness? etc.

Thank you!

I have used K&S copper sheets for liners. I like using them. If I remember correctly I think it was .03 inches thick. Bought it at Hobby Lobby. You can get them at Ace Hardware , Lowes, any store like that. My advice, just be careful not to heat it up too much when you shape the handle. It may affect the epoxy.

I have done several knives with copper liners.
I used 24 g copper sheet ( about 0.021 in ) and put black 0.020 G-10 in liners on both sides of the copper.
DeMo is right. The copper heats up when grinding and it conducts the heat.

I have used K&S copper sheets for liners. I like using them. If I remember correctly I think it was .03 inches thick. Bought it at Hobby Lobby. You can get them at Ace Hardware , Lowes, any store like that. My advice, just be careful not to heat it up too much when you shape the handle. It may affect the epoxy.
Thank you Dennis. I'll keep an eye on the heat. I appreciate your feedback sir.

I have done several knives with copper liners.
I used 24 g copper sheet ( about 0.021 in ) and put black 0.020 G-10 in liners on both sides of the copper.
DeMo is right. The copper heats up when grinding and it conducts the heat.
Thank you Owl. Awesome! I am pondering if G-10 liners around the copper was a good idea. In my head it seems the right thing to do. Glad someone else thought so too. I will keep it cool. Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time.

Yep as others have said heat is the main thing... I grind under coolant though which helps immensely (you could look into getting a cheap mister from Amazon for that specifically probably). I think it will look good with the cf!

Here's one I did with brass

i-5DhLWk4-X4.jpg

Last edited:
Yep as others have said heat is the main thing... I grind under coolant though which helps immensely (you could look into getting a cheap mister from Amazon for that specifically probably). I think it will look good with the cf!

i-5DhLWk4-X4.jpg
Wow! See that looks amazing! Thank you very much REK Knives. I appreciate your response and gorgeous example.

Does anyone worry about galvanic corrosion when choosing handle materials, or does the epoxy provide enough insulation to prevent it? Something I've wondered about when using dissimilar materials in handles. As an example, in aviation, you never use aluminum washers or fasteners with carbon fiber, only stainless steel due to possible corrosion.

Does anyone worry about galvanic corrosion when choosing handle materials, or does the epoxy provide enough insulation to prevent it? Something I've wondered about when using dissimilar materials in handles. As an example, in aviation, you never use aluminum washers or fasteners with carbon fiber, only stainless steel due to possible corrosion.
Never thought about it. Seems like there would have to be an electrolyte involved but I’ve never heard of or seen an instance of dissimilar metals having a negative impact on the knife.

I had a little trouble getting the epoxy (G Flex) to stick to my copper spacers. I roughed up the smooth face of the pieces and that seemed to help with adhesion. I was careful not to go all the way out to the edge though as I didn't want the scratches to show on the edges.

Back