Question/Idea for variable speed Grizzly grinder

PetrifiedWood

I have ordered one of the Grizzly 2X72 grinders and it is being delivered Wednesday. I've done a bit of reading here (particularly the "Question for Grizzly Owners" thread and it seems the biggest complaint about them is the lack of variable speed control.

I was thinking of a possible solution and wanted to run it by you guys.

Would it be possible to simply mount a step pulley to the shaft on the buffer side of the grinder,, close to the motor housing, and mount a separate motor behind it in piggyback fashion?

You could easily install an interrupt switch to disconnect the Grizzly motor's circuitry from the motor so the current generated wouldn't fry the circuit. Then the Grizzly motor would essentially just idle while you used the piggyback motor to drive it.

The seems like the easiest way to add variable speed without having to fabricate a complicated system that separates the grizzly motor from the drive wheel of the grinder. All you'd need is a set of pulleys and a second motor.

i think that would work fine if you google craftsman 2x42 in the first page you will see a guy on you tube do that same thing but he used step pulleys to upgrade his 2x42 hope this helps

Back