Question for the wood guys?

Justin Presson

Is any of this worth trying to have stabilized, I would assume it needs to dry a good long time but want to know if it's worth it? Not sure what species it is came down in a storm last night no leaves to ID it but one guy thought Hackberry.
d5f20b17b5b3e8a62f2050fcd6e4e734.jpg

e09e70b39a393b60c30bae89cc557db2.jpg

all species spalt so it is hard for me to tell. It is most definitely worth putting it in a nice dry place to dry out. It takes about one year per inch of thickness to dry properly. You can pick up a moisture content reader from HF for cheap. A good rule of thumb is the moisture sure be below 7%

my 2 cents worth....If mine, would slab it to say 1" thickness and see what it really looked like.
It may be pretty or not.
If not, then would a colored stabilizing mix bring more beauty to it?
If yes to any of the above, then would send it away to someone experienced for the stabilization.
Yes, stabilization is not hard to do, but got enough equipment and things to learn how to do properly without that one also.

my 2 cents worth....If mine, would slab it to say 1" thickness and see what it really looked like.
It may be pretty or not.
If not, then would a colored stabilizing mix bring more beauty to it?
If yes to any of the above, then would send it away to someone experienced for the stabilization.
Yes, stabilization is not hard to do, but got enough equipment and things to learn how to do properly without that one also.
I would definitely send it out for the pros to do.

I would slab it a minimum of 2" wide because sometimes in stabilizing the piece of wood will warp. After it dry's I would send it to K&G for stabilizing. I have all the equipment to do it myself and have stabilized a lot of wood, but I finally have to admit that K&G with all their equipment and what they use does a much better job than I ever did.

Back