Question fegarding presentation...

TacticallySharp

KNIFE MAKER
This morning at Subway I was asked if I could/would make 3 kitchen knives. Of course I would, now my problem.

I deliver my knives with a sheath & a lanyard, kitchen knives require neither. Do I make a thin leather pouch to cover the blade or just box it. I deliver my knife kits in a plastic bag with a header card.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George

I like to deliver all my knives in zippered pouches.
They are pretty economical if purchased from Tracy at USAKMS.
For kitchen knives, I have had my wife open the edge trim and line the interior with black vinyl from the fabric store.

Steve

You can do ether or both!
I sell my custom culinary knives in a box or/and with wooden Saya to cover the blade or with a plastic slip on "Blade Saver". Some have also been out fitted with a leather sheath for those that are going to be used for camp or roughing it BBQ work.

It all depends on the end use market and the price point you are selling to?

See how much profit there is in the sale and give the best presentation you can.

I hope that helps?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
I wrap the blade in VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor) paper if its carbon steel. Most folks I know keep their knives in either a block, roll or a magnetic strip so it the blade covering does not matter much. Few do like to keep their blades in saya if they store them in a drawer. But like it was said, it all depends on your customers. A nice cardboard box, like the ones Japanese knife makers use, goes a long way in making your work looks more professional.

For "kitchen" knives, I make a kydex "sleeve" (basically just a piece of kydex folded over the blade with the corners rounded off), and deliver it in a zippered pouch/case.

Thank you. I have kydex and will look into both the zipper case and presentation boxes. A client of mine has a box store, I would like to support those that support me.

Again, Thank You.

Laurence,

Sorry I did not answer sooner, trying to finish christmas gift knives for two clients, not paying much attention to forum. (Thanks Fred for pointing out my lack of attention)

I believe he does both. I know he has designed large retail packaging for major beer companies and such. Albert designed my packaging for my previous hobby turn business of remote control cars, and designed several white craft boxes for me when I was in the computer hardware business. Let me know what your looking for and I can ask him.

George

Back