question about pricing kitchen knife set???

MoblMec

Hi Guys
I have been making knives for a year now with 44 knives made. Mostley hunters, big choppers and what I call bushcraft knives. I haven't made any kitchen knives yet but I just got an order for 6 steak knives a butcher and a cheff knife so 8 knives total. I have no idea how to price this set. What do you think. I will use 440c stainless and g-10 or micarta for handles and corby type bolts . Will have somewere around $225 in materals. Then I guss somekind of wodden block to hold them.
How would you price somthing like this.
Thanks
MoblMec

Hi Guys
I have been making knives for a year now with 44 knives made. Mostley hunters, big choppers and what I call bushcraft knives. I haven't made any kitchen knives yet but I just got an order for 6 steak knives a butcher and a cheff knife so 8 knives total. I have no idea how to price this set. What do you think. I will use 440c stainless and g-10 or micarta for handles and corby type bolts . Will have somewere around $225 in materals. Then I guss somekind of wodden block to hold them.
How would you price somthing like this.
Thanks
MoblMec

A bit off-topic but have you handled higher end chef's knives? I ask because the geometry of a well made chef's knife differs greatly from your run of the mill lower and mid level knives. I've handled quite a few different knives from many makers as I do after market handles, mostly wa handles for Japanese and Japanese influenced knives with about 30% western handles, and what separates the good from the Freaking Awesome is the geometry.

As to your pricing question, Scott's advice is pretty sounds. I typically research what something similar costs from a few different sources and come up with a number that looks right. :)

Back