Question about NWG motor.

phatjohn

Hello guys, I hope someone can help me out with this question.

I'm in the process of building a NWG. For reasons I don't need to go into here, I need to get my machine up and running ASAP. I want to ultimately have a 1-1/2 hp motor with a variable speed controller but with time and money being what they are, in order for me to get my grinder up and running the quickest, the step pulley system makes the most sense. My question is can I buy one motor and start off using it with step pulleys and upgrade to the variable speed controller later and still use that motor or will I have to get a new one?
Keep in mind I'm a noob and don't have a lot of experience with electric.

I know this doesn't answer your question exactly but I went through Wayne Coe here on the boards for my NWG motor. The price was reasonable enough that I figured when I had the money for a controller, I could swap the motor over to a compressor that needs one or I could sell it and only be out about $100. Hope this helps some way.

By the way, Im also a noob with little experience on motors. Between the info in Boss' plans and Wayne Coe's help over the phone it was easy and no problem.

All of the variable speed set ups I know of there is a 3 phase motor driven by a VFD. I used a 1 phase 1.5 HP motor with step pulleys for almost 3 years before up grading to a VFD set up. If you get a 1 phase motor for now one thing you can do with it later is make it a disk grinder by adding a drum switch to reverse the spin direction and the disk. You can get both for less than $100. Not a bad investment now to get it up and running and not bad later to have a disk sander. Just something to think about.

Thanks guys.
When I sell a wiring kit with a motor I include instructions for wiring it.
Consider that you will probably have over $100.00 invested in the step pulleys, pillow blocks, shaft and belt.
If you start of with the VFD set up you can consider that you saved that $100.00 and the cost of the single phase motor when you do upgrade later. This is if you cut your frame off just behind the rear vertical tube, mount the motor there and make the grinder direct drive. You will get a smoother running, quieter, more powerful grinder that way.
It comes down to spending what you can now but more in the long run or biting the bullet now but saving money in the long run.
As with the belt grinder you will want variable speeds on a disk grinder also.
Which ever way you go is better than doing nothing.
I will help you however I can.

Last edited:
That is possible but hard to do.
My suggestion is to get into a step pulley set up as cheap as you can. When you get enough pulled together, convert to a variable set up and sell the step pulley setup with motor. You won't have any trouble finding a buyer. You should be able to get back at least 60% of what you spent. Maybe 75%. Consider that part rental fee.

Call every motor repair place locally until you can find a reworked motor for around a $100 to $150.
craigs list or eBay have deals occasionally also but the repair place is the best way to go if every nickel is hard to come by.

Hello guys, I hope someone can help me out with this question.

I'm in the process of building a NWG. For reasons I don't need to go into here, I need to get my machine up and running ASAP. I want to ultimately have a 1-1/2 hp motor with a variable speed controller but with time and money being what they are, in order for me to get my grinder up and running the quickest, the step pulley system makes the most sense. My question is can I buy one motor and start off using it with step pulleys and upgrade to the variable speed controller later and still use that motor or will I have to get a new one?
Keep in mind I'm a noob and don't have a lot of experience with electric.

Back