Question about my knife handle

Iagent

I'm making a knife handle for a damascus blade that doesn't really provide an integral guard. I really don't want a seperate guard, so what would you recommend I do to keep fingers from slipping onto the sharp area of the blade from the grip area.

I guess I was wondering how a knife of this design should look.( I bought the blade on Ebay) I didn't see a similar case in the gallery.
Thanks,
Rick

Bladethree.jpg

I dont think that blade was intended to have a guard. That dip in front of the blade may be intended for the index finger to fit it. The rest of the hand would fit the handle and I bet it was intended to have a good palm swell to help keep the hand from slipping foward.

With that said, I have made one knife with a simular design. I WILL NOT be making any more. Despite there being almost 2 inches between the handle and the cutting area of the blade, I gave myself a rather nasty cut with this design. I will not sell this knife! Blade is 4142 Chrom-Moly Alloy, brass guard, leather and wood spacers and deer antler crown.
SANY1653.jpg

I dont think that blade was intended to have a guard. That dip in front of the blade may be intended for the index finger to fit it. The rest of the hand would fit the handle and I bet it was intended to have a good palm swell to help keep the hand from slipping foward.

With that said, I have made one knife with a simular design. I WILL NOT be making any more. Despite there being almost 2 inches between the handle and the cutting area of the blade, I gave myself a rather nasty cut with this design. I will not sell this knife! Blade is 4142 Chrom-Moly Alloy, brass guard, leather and wood spacers and deer antler crown.
View attachment 28193

I think you are right, and I also think I can make the wood coax the hand to a comfortable safe part of the handle.
Thanks for the reply.

Back