Question about mill cleaning/lubrication?

blancefitz

I purchased a Shoptask combo mill/drill/lathe about 10 years ago and never used it. It has been in storage for about 7 or 8 years. When I stored it I coated the ways with what I thought was grease that came with it. Well after closer inspection it is some kind of cutting lubricant that had the consistency of grease! It kept any rust from forming on the ways and the mill table, but it is very sticky. What should I use to clean everything up/ Also what should I use for lubrication? Where at and how often? I know these questions show my ignorance, but I don't want to damage something that I may finally have a use for.

I am not an expert, but when I go my new mill a few months ago. I used mineral spirits to clean it up and lubed it according to the owners manual, way oil and grease where appropriate. I would recommend getting a copy of the owners manual and lubing per the OEM recommendations.

I am not an expert, but when I go my new mill a few months ago. I used mineral spirits to clean it up and lubed it according to the owners manual, way oil and grease where appropriate. I would recommend getting a copy of the owners manual and lubing per the OEM recommendations.

Good advise. Lube with high pressure way lube. Wipe it on critical surfaces often. I'm guessing that it really important to keep on top of it in Texas if its humid.

Mineral spirits will work wonders to dissolve the crud formed over a millennium or two. So many machines I have cleaned using mineral spirits or kerosene, and a parts brush. This in combination with fine steel wool or a nonwoven abrasive pad will really get the job done. Sometimes you will notice that some stuff just does not want to come up with mineral spirits. At this point, try some acetone, but be careful of any paint-finished places if you do. If acetone does not work, you are probably looking at a water-soluble problem, and Simple Green to the rescue!

FWIW, Simple Green is a common chemical used by gunsmiths for dissolving old dried oil when reconditioning guns. You can use it, clean your metal, and re-lube directly afterwards.

Thanks guys. I gave it a good scrub with mineral spirits and wiped it down with a light coat of Mobil1 until I can find the high pressure way lube. It is pretty slick now, but I may go over the table with some fine steel wool like suggested just to clean up a few spots with some discoloration.

Back