Quenching oil and 52100

Ok I think we all agree that we do want the slowest oil that will still beat the pearlite nose in 52100 so what do you think would be the better oil to chose for 52100 for initial cooling then slowing to 400*? Mcmasters 28 sec oil, Quench A (which is texaco Type A) ?????

Just goes to prove, you can take the sailor out of the Navy but you still can't take him out in public. Or was that Corpsmen?:3:

Doug:biggrin:

I resemble that remark, my dad was a retired navy corpsman, he did 2 tours with USMC. and my wife cringes anytime we have to go out in public.
Me, I worked avaition electronics and other stuff.
scott

"Ok I think we all agree that we do want the slowest oil that will still beat the pearlite nose in 52100 so what do you think would be the better oil to chose for 52100 for initial cooling then slowing to 400*? Mcmasters 28 sec oil, Quench A (which is texaco Type A) ?????"

Shane, it’s hard to give a definitive answer to that depending on a number of other possible variables, geometry, steel quality/condition etc., but it sounds like you are on the right track. If everything else is more or less ideal, then any good medium to slow quench oil should put you in the ball park and within acceptable standards.

Last edited:
Tai I will probably purchase the Texaco Type A but I still need to do a bit more research on the matter. I do thank everyone that has contributed thus far.

Ok I think we all agree that we do want the slowest oil that will still beat the pearlite nose in 52100 so what do you think would be the better oil to chose for 52100 for initial cooling then slowing to 400*? Mcmasters 28 sec oil, Quench A (which is texaco Type A) ?????

here is a post from Kevin Cashen on the heat treat of 52100. http://www.hypefreeblades.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60. he suggest Parks AAA
here is the data sheet on 52100 vac-arc. no change in composition, just more controlled conditions, greater purity. remember this alloy was designed and is mainly used for high speed ball bearings. http://www.latrobesteel.com/assets/documents/datasheets/52100.pdf
good luck with your project
scott

Scott what I found so interesting on the vac-arc was that for the austenizing temps Kevin gave me the Labtrobe sheet said to use water for the quench and to use oil for austenizing temps over 1500* ;) just thought it was interesting considering we are talking about using a quench slow enough to still be under the pearlite nose and less stressful on the steel and hopefully less micro fracturing

Thanks for posting that Scott I will read it!

Scott Kevin does suggest the Parks AAA to be better than Parks 50 but I will need a bit more of a definitive answer before choosing but I will know by days end.

Shane, on the water quenching, keep in mind that a bearing has a much different geometry, purpose/function than a knife blade, no thermal gradients, just the outside and the inside. Also, 52100 tends to be "clean" steel alloyed for a fine grain, as far as I know,... so it can probably handle higher quench speeds, but whether or not they would be any better, or worth the risk is the question.

I've heard everything from water to slow oil on it, but think a slower oil might be safest until you get some experience with it.

If you want to try and go the low budget route, I've heard people say that vet grade mineral oil works O.K. and should have similar speed to an unaccelerated quench oil. Or, maybe even room temp., canola with an interrupted quench.

At any rate, I'm not an expert on 52100, and I don't use it much at all, but I know some them that do use Texaco A.

What I’m thinking, based on what I’ve read, is that the exact quench speed may not be as much of an issue as other factors,… temps., times, heating atmosphere, geometry etc.

Good luck and I hope whatever you decide works out for you.

... It is an interesting, enigmatic and unique steel, and I'm sure there are things we could learn from it that apply across the board.

I don't think you'll find too many "definitive" answers... just lots of literature and opinions, like looking at reflections off a ball bearing from different angles.

Last edited:
By far,… the most interesting thing about ball bearings is the way they rebound… it’s a different type of hardness.

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in here. All the advice above sounds good and Parks AAA seems like the way to go.

However all I had was some P50 and upon the advice of a well respected maker I heated the oil only to 70 degrees as it was (oil and my shop about 50 degrees) and the blade came out good. I temepered 3 times trying to get to about 390 but not exceed 400 kinda sneaking up on desired temp because AI use my kitchen oven. The blade did very well flexing over 1/4" steel rod and cut 3/4" hemp rope very well.

The P50 will work, but there may be a better way. Just thought I would throw that out.

Back