Quench Wars! -- Side-by-side quench test

Thanks Kevin for the encouragement.

I would like to say that I know Kevin personally and I know like me he relies on knife and swordmaking as income for his family, I also know that he devotes a significant portion of time to things that do not benefit him financially, directly. I am happy to have him share his wealth of knowledge, but please refrain from adding to his workload unless he volunteers. I say this not to offend, but as a kindness to a friend.
Thank you,

Hope I didn't overstep by asking, I do not want anyone to feel obligated to do anything involved with these tests. Like I said if someone would like to help great, but if they decline for any reason whatsoever I myself will understand and not be offended. I just think that whoever helps in whatever way they can, will be helping the whole knifemaking community by possibly finding a readily available quality quench oil.

First I would like to thank Delbert for his concerns as they are legitimate as for my time constraints, but then I would like to wholeheartedly express how honored I am by Rusty and Darrin’s confidence in my work in any of these areas. I am not bothered or offended at all by your requests but am very flattered. However my time constraints are a problem even for my own research these days. Rockwell testing is fairly quick and can be done by anybody well versed in the use of the machine, but metallography is very time consuming in the sample prep and can gobble up so many hours that the price I needed to do it for others became prohibitive in order to justify my time away from making my own blades.

I am very encouraged by Rusty and Darrin’s sincere approach to this project and will advise in any way I can, but for the analysis I prefer to be in control of the process from beginning to end in order to insure the conclusions are ones I can embrace with confidence. With all the factors I have pointed out (and these are just the beginning) I would hate to have it said that Kevin Cashen found that McMaster-Carr oil left more pearlite in 3/16 steel than peanut oil, without being able to back that up with my oversight of the entire process and being certain of all the variables.

I guess this is the real reason I felt compelled to post to this thread, Darrin’s point on doing research for helping the whole knifemaking community by possibly finding a readily available quality quench oil, is a very noble approach, but with it comes great responsibility. I truly feel very saddened for our craft by the amount of misinterpretation of results already accepted as fact that has made in into circulation on the internet and on the printed page. Thus I encourage the concept of testing one property (hardness in this case) at a time, but keeping in mind that this is but one small part of the overall picture.

For example, if maximizing hardness is your only criterion then you already have brine as the hands down winner, and the testing isn’t even necessary. The problem is that once you establish the best heat extractor you now need to move on to numerous other factors in determining the right quenchant. Short of the steel-stressing extremes of brine or water, there are quenchants capable of achieving maximum martensite with a minimum of stress.

Another consideration, and one that is critical to the custom knifemaker, is consistency and repeatability. This is governed by the long term stability of the quenching medium, as well as the ability to duplicate the exact same performance with the next batch used.

To my knowledge the first bladesmith to be familiar with Parks #50 and mention it in my presence was Dan Maragni many years ago at Ashokan when he gave some to me. I then started ordering it, using it with a passion and recommending it to other makers at hammer-ins and online. That was a very long time ago and I am confident I have been using the stuff longer than the majority of knifemakers who have heard of it. It is a wonderful product that offers quench speeds I have not found in any other oils, however it is made by the darned strangest company I have ever encountered for not wanting to sell their products to the public. Thus I no longer recommend this wonderful product, due to the fact that it is just too hard to obtain, and when you do find it available it through other people they seem to take full advantage of their ability to offer it (let’s just say that I have bought 55 gallon drums of the stuff, I know what the stuff goes for a gallon directly from Parks).

I cannot tell Rusty and Darrin how much I appreciate the effort to quantify two actual quench oils rather than resorting to any number of other substances that can simply cool steels without the same considerations for all the numerous other factors. The McMaster-Carr 11 second could be a reasonable replacement for the #50, but I would suggest you not ignore the Houghton International products that their R&D guru Scott MacKenzie has told me is more than a match for the Parks.

So I while my workload keeps me from taking too active of a role in this project, I am also by no means discouraging the worthy efforts involved, I would also like to see the resulting information as accurate, objective and useful to our craft as it can be. In this I would like to find how I can best help even if I cannot physically assist.

Kevin,
Nice to have you and your expertise here at KnifeDogs...
feel free to jump in anytime, anywhere...
Wow! Thank you so much for this very kind and personal welcome. One other concern of mine is always how popular and well received my findings and information can be with those involved on any particular forum, and I am rather old school about proper manners regarding the bringing of discord to the house of my host. This welcome gives me some peace as well as a little more caution to be certain I can return the hospitality appropriately.

There are also those forums where one wonders how much they really have to offer beyond the wonderful input already available and, with people like my good friend Delbert helping here, my ability to expand too much on the knowledge base is limited to much more specialized topics

Thanks again Kevin, you not being able to physically assist in this endeavor is perfectly OK & understandable. Anyone interested in this experiment is more than welcome to contribute as much or as little as they would like to. I agree that adding a sample of Houghton oil would be beneficial to this test. So if anyone reading this would like to donate a sample of any type of readily available quality quenching medium feel free to do so. Rusty is doing the testing so I will let him decide on how many different materials he would like to test.

I have seen several mentions of Brine Quench here but no mention of Robb Gunter's Super Quench. Rather than clutter this thread I will post some info on Super Quench on
Shop Talk.

Kevin,

It's good to see you here. I always appreciate you so willingly sharing your knowledge on metallurgy. It is sometimes way over my head but after reading many of your posts on several forums and your excellent web site I feel I have learned enough to make a very serviceable knife.

Thanks for all you have done and shared,
Carey

Kevin,

It's good to see you here. I always appreciate you so willingly sharing your knowledge on metallurgy. It is sometimes way over my head but after reading many of your posts on several forums and your excellent web site I feel I have learned enough to make a very serviceable knife.

Thanks for all you have done and shared,
Carey

Thank you very much Carey. I cannot fully express how much sentiments such as this really mean to me, while many see new information as a threat to the status quo, messages such as yours show that providing that information is not an entirely thankless task. Most important is your pogress on a serviceable knife 2thumbs, idle chat about metallurgical concepts is one thing but putting it to use in making better knives is really what it is all about. Knowing I can help in any way in this is the greatest reward.

Thanks for the reply Kevin. I hope to stop by your booth at the Blade Show this year and say hi if you're going to be there.

Carey

Rusty and Darrin, I appreciate you guys taking time to do this. I am very interested in the results with the 1095.

Kevin,
I know it has been said already, but thank you for providing your input as well. I have read your material on BF and it has helped me very much.

No problem Sean, actually Rusty is doing all the work all I did was supply a piece of 1095 & some oil. Had some problems shipping the oil but I got it sent today. Rusty should have it in a couple of days.

Alrighty then! I got the steel cut in to like sizes today and am drilling holes in them to put a piece of wire trough to use to hold them in the quench. Dont have pics now but will get them as soon as the holes are drilled probably in the morning.. Will have this done as soon as I can.
I have 3 sets of tags of 1084 and 1090 one set will get distilled water, one set will get Parks 50, one set will get McMaster 11 second quench. Before I do this I have to go to town to get a thermometer that I can take pics of for the oil and water.

Alright People I just got finished with the Quenches and will have Pics to put up, But it's 2:15 and I'm tired and need some sleep, Sorry for the wait had some personal things to take care of.
Rusty

I just bought some McMaster CArr for 1080 and can't wait to see the results from all this. Thanks for taking the time guys.

Ok so Here are some Pics of what I did.
The first is the steel I started with a bit of 1090 and some 1084 I had

In the second I had cut them with my bandsaw

Third I skiped ahead and drilled holes in each for wire to hold the pieces with when I quenched them

Fourth is normalizing the steel, a process I go through each time I quench, heats to dull red and let them air cool to black again this is done 3 times

last pic is more normalizing.

Attachments

• 100_1350.jpg
    100_1350.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_1351.jpg
    100_1351.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_1352.jpg
    100_1352.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_1353.jpg