Putting new handles on Spyderco Walker....

I need some direction regarding putting a different handle on a Spyderco Walker. The one i have had the zxtel handle and the pocket clip broke off. I want to use some titaniun liners and G10 scales for the handle. I need to know (1)about which fasteners would work well, (2) spacer material between the titanium liners, (3) how to locate the existing linerlock to work with the handle arrangement I have in mind. Or I could make a new linerlock but need to know how to install a detent ball. Any info is appreciated. Doug S.

Well, seems to me you want a totally different one. Nothing nwrong with that. What you are asking is how to make one. Go to ther search and enter liner locking and see what you get. Learning to make a good one and with custom ,ideas isn't easy and could take a lot of new equipment, materials, and time. It can be very rewarding, however. Frank

Morning Doug, got your PM, but figured it would help to add the info here for others in the future as well.

Like Frank said, pretty much every question anyone could ever have has been answered many times. I know I was just asking about the detent ball recently as well.

If you are looking to change the look of you knife, then I think simply making new scales from the old ones (as a pattern) would be a great place to start. You could change up the clip by getting a 2-56 tap and retapping the liner for whatever holes you need.
If you are really set on learning to make linerlocks, then the old liners are your perfect pattern. Trace them out on white paper and then trace the blade onto it to show Open and Closed. You can play with handle shapes from there on paper.

I'm not a huge Sypderco fan (hate the hole), but it looks like a very well designed knife and handle, so I can't see doing too much to change it. But I certainly understand the desire to "make it your own".

If you haven't already found USAKnifeMakers Supply, you need to check that out for handle material and parts. Boss, aka Tracy, aka KD Forum King... Also runs that knife supply warehouse site.
If you are only needing a small piece of Ti, Alpha Knife Supply sells them in small pieces and Chuck is a great guy to work with.

Unless the liners are messed up, or unless you REALLY want to change the handle shape, I would recommend starting with making new scales only. It will give you a quick "win" and personally, when new projects drag on too long, I lose interest.

As for setting the detent ball, I'm not sure how you would go about it on a knife that already has a hardened blade... Another reason to use the original liners. But you can still change scales, change clip, add bolsters, change backspacers.... TONS of options.

Back