Pry tab on handle of full tang blade-Bad idea?

thomster

I build knives in my spare time for friends & family. Im looking to build a blade for a machinist friend. It would be an EDC blade he would use while at work. when I sent him a photo of my suggested design, he asked if it was possible to add a Pry-Tab off the handle end. Is this even a good idea or feasible? Im thinking of using either AEB-L or 1095 (its what I have at the moment) Im a little worried it will either chip or create a twist to the tang loosening the scales. Im not sure how hard he will use this feature. CKnife profile with Pry Tab Resized.JPG

Could you just extend the tang out past the scale. I would think it needs to flow into the shape rather than a protrusion. Lots of knives have extensions on the pommel.

Think about how thick the tang is - if it's fairly thick as in a camp knife I don't expect there would be a problem flexing the tang while using the tab.

Hopefully this is just "light" prywork, otherwise I tell clients in my knifecare instructions:

2. Do NOT: Throw, chop, pry or dig with your knife. Get a pry bar, shovel, or axe instead.

He could potentially pry something that would cause the handle to flex and cause issues with the scales attaching to the tang.

Pardon my forward-ness and presumption, but I bet that tab comes back to bite you in the ass, sir.

I don’t see where it would be a problem. Look at the Swiss Army knives, and Leatherman…..they have screwdrivers on them, with a LOT weaker joint than a protrusion on a full tang. I would harden and temper the tang as well to make it stiffer. AEBL might be better than 1095 since it’s easier to harden the whole tang.

Could you just extend the tang out past the scale. I would think it needs to flow into the shape rather than a protrusion. Lots of knives have extensions on the pommel.
Really good idea. This is what I'm planning to do. I talked to him and mentioned that it's really a poor idea to use a knife as a pry tool. he agreed. I will redraw, extending the tang past the scales and use corby's as well. Thanks for the advice!

Back