Propane forge.

James-G

I am being forced to finish my gas forge , county burn ban. My forge is made out of a old propane tank , I have the kaowool,What I need is some help figure out the stuff i need to cover it and what the best use, I am makeing it a blown forge. Any help would be thank full.

Last edited:
What I covered my ceramic insulating mat with is Mizzou. It's a castable refractory that I got from what is now High Temperature Tools and Refractory and it's pretty much impervious to flux. A 5 lb bag should be plenty. I covered the matting about over the bottom and half way up the sides and let it set up a bit and then turned it and covered a little more until I hand coated the entire inside. Spray the ceramic matting with a little water to help the refractory stick. Let it dry for 4-5 days then heat it slowly to drive out the remaining water before taking it up to full temperature. Keep the left over refractory dry and it will be on hand when you need it for patching.

Doug

Permafrost, I think that this is the answer that I gave JamesG.

James, when I build a gas forge using a 20# propane bottle I use 3 6# bags of Kast-0-Lite 3000 and one pint of Plistix or Metrikote. I am attaching a copy of my tutorial on how to build a gas forge. This is written for an atmospheric burner but can be altered for a blown forge.
This is certainly not the only way to build a gas forge but I like this process. You might want to consider building a ribbon burner and I am also attaching information that I have collected for building this type burner. If you decide to build a ribbon burner you might want to get an extra bag of Kast-0-Lite.

The Kast-0-Lite 3000 is $15.00 per bag,
Plistix is $10.00 per pint and
Metrikote is $15.00.
Shipping for 3 bags of Kast-0-Lite and one Pint of Plistix or Metrikote is #13.35 and with 4 bags of Kast-0-Lite shipping is $17.45 If you want it insured add $2.35.

You can send a check or money order or send a PayPal Payment to waynecoe@highland.net.

Thank you.

You might also want to look at my tutorial at Build A Gas Forge. This is also on the Tutorial Forum.

Last edited:
Back