Playing with my etching machine, pics.

PetrifiedWood

I got to messing around with my etcher, and made a nice electrically induced patina on a blade. Turns it a nice black color.

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

I wish I had though to mask an area so I could put my mark on there! :D

Hopefully I'll get some time to put some handles on it this week. I'm planning to use tigerstripe G10.

Tom, the material is O1 steel.

You can use a typical knife etching machine set to A/C current, and instead of using a stencil to etch a logo, you just wipe the etching pad over the surface of the blade to darken it. Make sure the surface is clean and sanded or blasted tot he grit you prefer. This was sanded with 120 grit.

I darkened the blade after heat treating and before doing the final edge grinding and mounting the handle scales. I'll be posting pictures of the finished knife in a couple of minutes in the knife pictures section. After mounting the handles I went back and darkened the exposed tang and spine of the blade, leaving only edge bevel bright.

I love to colour Damascus for my folders and often use a deep etch. This might give me another technique !!! Say to hit the high spots. Thanks much !!! Frank

Back