Pine cone belt knife

Joel

After seeing Cote's beautiful filet knife with the Norwegian spruce cone cast into Armilite, I had to give that material a try. Ordered 3 sets of scales with different colored resins; this is the first of the series. Blade is my usual 3/32 inch CPM154CM and is 5 inches long. The trim is obviously copper. Still needs a sheath/sharpened. The other two knives will use different trim than this one.
Picture780.jpg

Picture781.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!
I must have missed it.
Where did you get the pine cone scales?

Last edited:
I wonder if he will make these in other color contrasts? This particular version is very nice.

Just a side question for anyone who might know: are there any electrolytic problems with placing copper and steel together on knives? Future corrosion/oxidation probs?

I would highly doubt that there are any electrolytic problems with placing copper against steel since copper rivets have been used in
culinary knives for a very long time.

I wonder if he will make these in other color contrasts? This particular version is very nice.

Just a side question for anyone who might know: are there any electrolytic problems with placing copper and steel together on knives? Future corrosion/oxidation probs?

I've been using copper on knives for years without that process occuring. It has been done for centuries on both edged weapons and firearms, and many survive in reasonably good shape. In the area of corrosion or oxidation, I don't coat the copper with anything because I happen to like the way copper oxidizes...you can get some interesting colors sometimes. Nor do I mind if it just turns a dark reddish color. Corrosion would be a problem if constantly exposed to humid/wet conditions; but the same problem would occur with iron or brass. Simple matter to use a metal polish on that; in fact I use RenWax on all my knives before I ship them.

As far as other contrasting colors, here's the other two I have.
Picture787.jpg

Back