Paring Knife with Box Elder Burl

BrandantR

This is the first knife of four that I'm making my daughter for a kitchen set. The blade is hollow ground 440C, the scales are box elder burl with black fiber liners, and the dovetailed bolsters are 416. It's a very comfortable knife and fits my daughter's hand really well. Should look good with the other knives in the set once they are done. I've been keeping up a WIP of the set on my blog and over on the WIP section of the forum if you care to see more. I'd love to know what everyone thinks. All comments welcome.

WP_20160611_12_53_33_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good Brandant. what thickness CPM-154 are you using ?
Steve, thanks for the comment. I mistakenly said that the blade steel was CPM154. It's actually 440C. To answer your question, it's 1/8". I think if I was to make another one one of this size, I would go a little thinner, like 0.1" or so. Still, it should still be a good little kitchen companion.

I was wondering because I looked everywhere for thin CPM-154 like 3/32" for making fillet knives. I ended up using 12C27. I'm glad I tried this steel, I really like it. for starters it's the cleanest steel to work with I've ever used, it comes thin, I'm using .100, and it takes a nice heat treat. my first fillet knife was used on a 27" redfish and worked great according to the guy I lent it too. those are supposed to be a really tough fish to fillet, I know they taste great. I've made a couple steak knives for the house and this steel impresses me. I'm going to try some neck knives with it next. you might want to check out 12C27 for kitchen knives.

I was wondering because I looked everywhere for thin CPM-154 like 3/32" for making fillet knives. I ended up using 12C27. I'm glad I tried this steel, I really like it. for starters it's the cleanest steel to work with I've ever used, it comes thin, I'm using .100, and it takes a nice heat treat. my first fillet knife was used on a 27" redfish and worked great according to the guy I lent it too. those are supposed to be a really tough fish to fillet, I know they taste great. I've made a couple steak knives for the house and this steel impresses me. I'm going to try some neck knives with it next. you might want to check out 12C27 for kitchen knives.
I use CPM154 almost exclusively for my folder blades. I've found that most of the major suppliers carry CPM154 in 0.100 thickness, but are limited to 1" wide. For bigger sizes you have to look, but you can find it. I'll have to consider using 12C27 in the future. I've heard good things about it.

Back