Opinions on if this knife is trash now

kenneth77

I posted back a few weeks ago this knife i did
20140510_095546.jpg
And i took the handles back off to do a little more sanding on them and i saw a hair line crack up by the handle and my heart just sank because i thought i had done a really good job on the knife and was proud of it .
So this is what i saw.
Crack in Bush Master.jpg
So my question is should i toss it and cut another blade or see how this one holds up and see if it breaks , i did slam it pretty good a few times on the table to see if it separate the crack more and didnt so any advise would be help full.

Based on the crack, I think it's only a matter of time before you end up with two pieces of what was once a knife. As long as you're not gona try to sell it, it's whatever you want to do. Is that the "quench" line? Where the crack formed? If so, I suspect there was a minor crack that formed when quenched....and just continued. I've had that happen in the past, and for me it's "chop it up and off the scrap yard."

Yeah i am not going to sell it ,this was my test one. On the quench line ....it was a little higher up.I think i will see how long it will hold up .I just dont get what went wrong.

looks like a knife for the yard tool box. would probably work great for potting plants, sharpening tomato stakes, cutting kudzu vines. it may break tomorrow, it may last and be something to give a grandkid. would be a good test mule to use for trying new sharpening styles or whatever. too nice a blade to end up in scrap bucket

Blades like these I consider part of the learning curve. Every maker that's been at it for a couple of years has a bucket of oh, S%&t! blades like this one for different reasons, Mine is off grinds mostly and a couple that cracked during HT. Learn what you can from it and make the next one better.

It's right at the area of the knife that has a lot of stress put on it. As far as keeping as a test knife, why not, the worst it can do is break-and it will. If it had happened to me-and it has- I'd just toss it into the junk drawer.

Doug

that is to bad. I have had cracks like that but fortunately they were a bit further to the tip so I snapped it to see the grain of the steel. I would say beat that thing up beyond normal use to see how it holds up. On the bright side you can go camping for "testing purposes only" of course!

It sure does look like a crack.................but I'll throw this out there, sand it some and see if it goes away. Make sure it's not decarb. I've had a few blades that looked like they were cracked but it turned out to be decarb. Just a thought.

I agree with the others if it is indeed a crack. Don't sell it. Use it as a test blade for something or just use it around the house. I have a cracked damascus blade (I broke it while trying to straighten it) that I use in my kitchen. It doesn't even have handle scales. :)

Back