one for the wall of shame!

busted knuckles

Here's my worst crack yet. 1095, water quenched from 1500 for 2 sec and then into oil. I was going by my new pyrometer which is reading lower than my old one, I think I need to calibrate it! the old one must be right on the money.

for your enjoyment and my shame......PB230043.jpgPB230042.jpg

no shame in that. you just learned to not do that again -- for awhile.

Don't feel bad, I cracked one in Park 50 last week. It's a shame too, it was an exact match to one I made for myself and I could have sold it the next day had it not cracked. :( We all have those days.

Yea, it happens. this guy's been waiting a while and I hate to make him wait longer. It's below freezing here today. I also broke about $20 worth of drill bits and taps, they're all frozen! need to fire up the forge to heat the shop.
Hey Bill, don't you think I already have a wall of shame? and a big one at that!

Well brother Knuckles, that had to hurt down deep inside. "Live and Learn".... "Been-there-done-that"...... and all those other one liners.

The little wood line by my shop is full of mistakes. Lots of iron in those woods.

1095 just ain't crazy about plain water, especially from 1500. If you use water, you just have to learn to expect the sound of "ting" from time-to-time.

Better luck next time.

Robert

Paul Bos, widely recognized as America's foremost heat treat authority for knife blades, got an early start learning the importance of proper heat treat. He was a 9th grader, making a set of 16 cold chisels in metal shop. When he plunged them into water to cool them off, they shattered into 32 pieces. Looks like you are in good company.

Taken off the Buck website.

Back