Old steel new knife

Kampman Knives

Just finished 2 knives and working on a bowie...
The first picture is a detail of the steel blade from my bowie, it's forged out of a 16th century wrought iron steel with a weld forged edge of high carbon steel (WIP).
You can see clearly the impurities in the wrought iron steel.
The second smaller knife is a damascus forged from C100 and wrought iron, with some camel bone scales en red copper pins.
Last knife is forged out of 100 year old steel, it comes out of an old bakery oven (in my own house), also here you see the impurities of the steel but this steel is hard enough to keep an edge, it's quenched on Japanese style (yaki ire) with a clay coating and into the water what changes the edge into martensite.
You cannot see the hamon clearly here cause i didn't etched and polished it enough but gives a nice pattern anyway.
I finished it of with a hamer stroke pattern what i call the rain of arrowheads, used some tiger stripe maple scales with red copper pins.
Thanx for watching, cheers Igor.
IMG_3145.jpg
IMG_3167.jpg
IMG_3151.jpg
IMG_3149.jpg
IMG_3150.jpg
IMG_3152.jpg
IMG_3154.jpg
IMG_3165.jpg
IMG_3159.jpg
IMG_3156.jpg

In my opinion the copper pin in the blade is too much ,but...those two servants from the wild frontier look like the real deal anyways!

I just love both these knives! The smaller one is just outstanding!!! I think the handle material on the smaller one and overall vintage look are spot on!

Back