OK you guys - Just finished my first knife!

wmhammond

. . . sort of. I started with a practice knife made out of MDF and an old piece of Hickory. I copied the design from a picture I saw on the internet. There was no name on it so I can’t give credit to the real maker. If it’s yours please let me know and I’ll sing your praises.

As I stated in my intro, I think I’m going to start with a set of 8 steak knives. This is the pattern I’m going to use for them so I decided to practice by making it into a hunter/skinner. Here is the deal: the “blade” is made of 1/8” MDF. The overall length is 8 ¼” with the “Blade” being 4”X2”.

I cut out the pattern with my scroll saw and shaped the knife blank on my oscillating table drum sander. Rough shaped my handle scales on the scroll saw then drilled holes in the knife blank and then the scales. I used wood glue and wood screws to attach the scales to the blank. I let the screws go all the way through the scales so when I ground them off they would look a little like stainless steel pins (Forgot they might heat up and burn the wood when I ground them down). Once the scales were attached, I used my oscillating sander to “freehand” shape the handle. The handle is asymmetrical and I just shaped it to fit my hand. I sanded it down to 220 and finished it with a little Tung Oil. Just to get the “Look” I painted the MDF “blade” a flat grey. Actually I love the shape of this knife and I can’t wait to get going on it as my first “real” knife. I’ve got a piece of Damascus steel and I’m ready to go. Let me know what you think. Thanks,

Wallace

Attachments

• IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0718.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 29
That is pretty cool, though I doubt the MDF will hold an edge very long...:)
The handle looks a bit 'fat' to me...

You should have ground the edge profile for practice - That is the hardest part of the real knife and you skipped practicing that. Otherwise like the shape - I also agree the handle needs to be thinned quite a bit more.

Back