Offset drilling

tatonka

So I decided to use the GLWJ Bulldog kit as the platform for my first folder. I have some crazy ideas already. I want to use a 7/16 chain ring bolt for the pivot and, in the future, incorporate an IKBS style bearing system. Some may ask why. I ask why not.

In order to have room for that monster I'll need to offset drill the 1/4" pivot hole to 7/16". Is there a good way to do this? What kind of tool will I need? I have a partially tapers 7/16" reamer on the way.

About the only way I can think to do what your wanting is with a milling machine, with the blade locked up in a vise, and everything clamped down tight. I suspect you'd have to use a 7/16" end mill rather than a drill bit....even if you "start" the new hole and try to come into the 1/4" hole, the 7/16" bit is going to "walk" at best, or break at worst when it hits the existing hole.

Before you drill out that pivot hole, make sure your going to have enough room....not only for the counterbore & bearings, but think about the track for your detent. You can run out of room quickly when you start "upsizing" pivots, and unless you think things through completely, it often ends in misery.

Back