O si yo from OK

(that's "Hello" in Cherokee). My name is Rick DuBois. I'm 45 and live in rural NE OK with my wife and daughter. I am a knifemaking newbie. I've been putting handles (wood, horn, G10, Micarta) on manufactured blades and building folder kits for a while, but have only made one knife by stock removal, in a knifemaking class at my local vo-tech. That one knife did turn out surprisingly well, though.

I have learned the basics of hollow grinding; I just don't have a real grinder yet. I bought Tracy's NWG plans and will build it as finances allow me to buy the major parts.

I have made some Kydex sheaths and am anxious to learn leatherworking. I'm also interested in learning scrimshaw. One thing at a time, though. I know that I need to concentrate on blade grinding first.

This forum and others where I have mostly lurked have been invaluable to me as a noob. I can't imagine how long it took to learn this stuff before these forums existed. My heartfelt thanks to all the knowledgeable makers who give so freely of their hard-earned wisdom to help ignoramuses like me get started. I hope to pay it forward some day when I have something to contribute!:D

Rick DuBois:bud:

Hello Rick,
I used to live in Ada, OK and then Chickasha and work in Anadarko OK back in '80-81 just when the patch dried up.
Welcome to KD.. glad to have you.
t

Phil,

You are quite close to me. I live just outside Grove, OK. I have friends in the Baxter Springs / Galena area. I was in your neck of the woods a couple of weekends ago when we went to see Big Brutus.

Good to know there are other makers in my neighborhood.

Rick

Looks like I'm late to the welcome party...

Howdy! and welcome to Knife Dogs.

Rural. Are we talkin' Ottawa County rural?

:)

BC

Bill,

Thanks for the welcome. We're talking Delaware County, just east of Grove, about a mile from the MO state line, and not far from KS and AR as well. It's great to find out there are so many knifemakers around here!2thumbs

Back