Number 3

Daffy

So I'm almost done with my third. I have just a little more sanding on the handle to go and I feel like its not living up to how I envisioned it. I don't know if I'm reaching beyond my skill level or if the design just isn't practical. The knife itself is comfortable and functional but looks wise its not what I had hoped to achieve.

Critiques and comments welcome.

daffy,
Its not always a straight line of improvment which each finished knife. Every maker has a box of turds in their shop. Anyone that tells you different hasn't made very many knives! lol

Believe me I have seen far worse so I think you may be a tad hard on yourself here.
It looks like you were going after something with the liner protruding forward of the scales? Don't give up on your new ideas. Use this one around the shop and let it talk to you about how to make your ideas come out better on the next one.

Yea I thought having the liner peek out from the scales might be a unique look. Haven't seen it done before really.

As far as turds go. I may need a bigger box. lol

the design looks good but ya the liner is a little out of place, I have broken off a lot of handles to stuff like this. i tried to sandwich a piece of liner between two 1/8 pieces of g 10 once ya NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! so dont feel bad i tore it off and started over.

Too much liner sticking out compared to drawing and the blade seems a bit shorter than your design. All in all a good looking 3rd knife. I have worst looking ones kicking around my place. Liners sticking out seems like a good idea but, we don't see them outside of our "Oh No Box" box much.

So I had some down time and took another look at this design. I ended up with 2 possibilities that might improve upon what I had tried to do. First would be a Nessmuk skinner and second would just be a scaled down version of the previous design. Instead of being almost a 1.5" wide knife it would be down to ~1' at its widest point.

Comments and critiques welcome

Looks like you're doing pretty good if that's #3. I just finished number 425 today and last week I put 3 more in the turd box.

very nice work Daffy

personally i would suggest the bottom design, i think its more versatile

Alright Daffy!
Now get your materials together for these two patterns and start your blade profiling. I will be checking back.

655693a1-f95d-4a87-8aa4-03210cafe7f1_zps75781800.jpg

Bet it'd be a dandy skinner . . . too functional to be consigned to a box.

Had a chance to profiled em. I also made one 10% bigger (according to my copier) because when I held my cardboard cutout it felt small. I think they should turn out nice though.

Last edited:
I have a drawer where I throw my not so great ideas...every once in a while I pull one out and make a couple of improvements that turn it into a good looking knife. Others simply cant be salvaged. But the mistakes we make are part of the learning process. I dont think the knife turned out that bad. To be completely honest, I would knock the handle off, slim down the handle just a bit, and fit new scales to it. It's not a bad design. Keep at it, you're on the right track. This is only number 3....many more to build!

Sadly under those scales it looks like Swiss cheese and i have 2 more blanks that look just like that one so I'm chalking it up to a learning experience and making some new ones.

Back