North Carolina maker here, Hey everybody

Hey everybody , I have been coming here and reading for a good while and today I found a thread I could help in so I finally signed up. Now I get to see ALL of the pictures.

I go by Spalted on other forums.

How I got here, from the beginning----- I have worked with wood all my life and built me a sawmill so I could saw my own wood. Then I got fascinated with spalting and for a couple years experimented with getting logs to spalt. Then I realized that keeping logs laying around is a magnet for snakes and my wife of 22 years is terrified of snakes, so the spalting experiments are over. Then I decided to sell some wood for knife scales. I built me an online store and started getting sales but before I got half of my wood listed I knew making knives is something I wanted to do. So I shut the store down and built me a grinder.

I am not sure which knife making road I will end up on, Big knives?, little knives?, forging? or grinding it away? kitchen knives?hunting?fighters?.etc........... I plan on trying it all and see what I enjoy the most. I have not made my mind up about steel choice either, I am in the process of making and testing knives in 1084,1095, 0-1, 5160, CPM3v, CPM154, CPM35 .

And as a finial thought a dog is about the best friend a guy can have

Welcome. Where in NC are you located?

I am a few miles north of Oxford. If you still need the burl sawn you can bring it over or you can mail it to me and I will saw it and mail it back.

Thanks for the welcome. I have already learned alot reading here.

Back