Noob from Pittsboro, NC

Dynamik1

Hello all!

I'm brand new to the world of making knives. I recently stumbled across Gough Custom on YouTube and got bit by the bug. Mr. Gough's video "Making a Custom Knife for an Infantryman" showed me that I could make a pretty decent knife with just hand tools and some creativity. Add to that a by-chance introduction to Mr. Greg Medford of Medford Knife and Tool and I was itching real hard to try my hand. I ordered some D2 Tool steel, 1/4" brass pins and G-10 slabs from Amazon and got to work marking and cutting out my first blade. I subsequently built the Gough Filing Jig and have just finished my first full flat grind with just a @@@@@@@ file. I've got quite a bit left to do but think she might be getting close to ready to send off for heat treat while I get to marking and cutting out my next blade design. Any recommendations on where to send for heat treat?

Flat Grind 13-MAR-2014-thumb.jpg

Attachments

• Flat Grind 13-MAR-2014.jpg
    Flat Grind 13-MAR-2014.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to KD Dynamic, you have a good start there. I would try Peters heat treat or find a local shop. Like to see it done and pics!

Welcome to the pack.
I would do those handle pin holes before you doing anything else. You are of to a great start.

Thanks Laurence - I will make sure to drill those out before I send it off :)

Using 3/16" pin stock - so use a 3/16" drill bit?

Back