noob bonehead...

rjarois

hello fellas, i am a raw beginner folding knife builder, i have built many fixed blade knives. but now i am going to attempt my first folder, and i am seeing its a all new ballgame!!. i selected D-2 as my blade steel as i always use on my other builds. but i did a bonehead and got grade 2 ti instead of grade 5 for the liners. its going to be a locking liner knife, and was wondering if the grade 2 ti will be ok, or get grade 5 ?? thanks for any input. randy.

You need 6al/4v for the liners. It makes a natural spring. I've forgotten what the other grade designations mean.

don, thank you. i was reading about it after i bought the grade-2. and i read somewhere that grade2 is not suitable for knife liners. but i was hoping, lols. i will order some grade-5. i googled titanium grades and it popped up.

Grade 1-4 are unalloyed and considered commercially pure or "CP". Generally the tensile and yield strength goes up with grade number for these "pure" grades. The difference in their physical properties is primarily due to the quantity of interstitial elements. They are used for corrosion resistance applications where cost and ease of fabrication and welding are important.
Grade 5, also known as Ti6Al4V, Ti-6Al-4V or Ti 6-4, is the most commonly used alloy. It has a chemical composition of 6% aluminium, 4% vanadium, 0.25% (maximum) iron, 0.2% (maximum) oxygen, and the remainder titanium.[5] Grade 5 is used extensively in Aerospace, Medical, Marine, and Chemical Processing.[6] It is used for connecting rods in internal combustion engines. It is significantly stronger than commercially pure titanium while having the same stiffness and thermal properties (excluding thermal conductivity, which is about 60% lower in Grade 5 Ti than in CP Ti).[7] Among its many advantages, it is heat treatable. This grade is an excellent combination of strength, corrosion resistance, weld and fabricability. In consequence, its uses are numerous such as for military aircraft or turbines. It is also used in surgical implants.[5] Generally, it is used in applications up to 400 degrees Celsius. Its properties are very similar to those of the 300 stainless steel series, especially 316.

thanks again for answering my post. randy.

Back