Non-Gator Trizacts

Erdbeereis

Do the non-Gator versions of trizact last as long as the Gator versions? Do they work as well for blade finishing?

One non-trizact question, how long will a 60 grit Blaze belt last when profiling and bevel grinding a 3.5in. blade and 4.5in.handle?

Do the non-Gator versions of trizact last as long as the Gator versions? Do they work as well for blade finishing?

One non-trizact question, how long will a 60 grit Blaze belt last when profiling and bevel grinding a 3.5in. blade and 4.5in.handle?

I don't know about the non gator trizacts but I do know to use old worn belts for profiling and breaking the corners before beveling and then use the new belts for grinding bevels.

I started using non gator Trizacs about 8 years ago.
I use them after HT clean up with a 220 AO, everything after that is Trizacs right up to 3000g or 4000 g depending on desired finish. Once I started using them, I feel it helped get my work up to the next level, especially blending guards or bolsters into the handle. Don't force them , you can feel when they're behaving correctly. They don't like water.

Good luck,
Rudy

Thanks guys! How long do you feel they last?

That's dependant on the user.
Flat grinds seem to kill them quickly, maybe 4 blades max. Once I see skips in the cutting pattern, I'll switch it out and use it for blending handles. They seem to really shine on slack belt and hollow grinds. Some grits have lasted 5-6 blades. At the higher grits I'm only making 4-5 passes on each side per belt, so they last a long time. Don't throw them away when really worn, I coat the 600g - 1200g with buffing compound and polish or sharpen with them. All in all, they're worth every penny once you get the hang of using them.

Rudy

I've never used the Blaze belts, only because I have boxes of AO belts.
A 36g AO or 60g AO belt gets me to where I'm going so quick before HT that I never bothered with the more expensive belts. I do use ceramic 120g or 220g before HT.

Rudy

Back