:New to using a forum but old to collecting, repairing and restoring vintage knives:

K

knives are quiet

Hi everyone,
I am from Pennsylvania.
I am new to using a forum so bare with me if I make mistakes.
I have been collecting knives for 43 years ever since I was 7 years old and was awarded my cub scout knife.
For 20 years I repaired, restored, made a number of knives from kits and even one of my own from scratch in my spare time as a hobby.
For the past 10 or so years I have strictly been restoring vintage knives. Mostly folders. I know in the knife collecting world this is a big "no no". As it devalues the knifes worth.
But it does regain some value as an historical knife you don’t need to be afraid to use.
Leaving classic pieces of art and history in a state of disrepair and unable to use safely, to me , is a down right shame and disrespectful to the knife smiths who made them.
If I wanted to collect something to look at or make a huge profit off of then I would have collected paintings.
If a knife I come across just needs cleaning then I do just that.
The ones that are unusable, missing parts and are unsafe are the knives well worth saving so they can be used as a tool again with a piece of history attached to them.
I can offer my years of experience to anyone who could use it and I myself could use some help from time to time. This type of hobby is a never ending learning experience.
I look forward to conversing with others who love this hobby as much as I do.
Here are before and after shots of my latest restore.
A Thomas Wilton aka. (John Watts) Farrier's / Horseman’s knife . From - JOHN NEWTON & CO., Manhattan Works Sheffield - circa (1892)
It has five tool attachments.
I got the knife off of eBay for cheap.
It was being sold as a parts knife.
All it needed was to be cleaned; blades straightened, reshaped and sharpened; springs adjusted; new stag scales from Midwest Knifemakers Supply; pins and a new corkscrew which I forged by hand. The original was broke off short.
The knife operates like a new knife but still shows it's age.
jamie~ from Pennsylvania

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to have you. I get an email about every other week asking me for someone to restore a knife of some sort. I'll see if I can send you some business if you are interested.
Welcome to the Dogs...

Back