New to knifemaking in Huntsville, Texas

blancefitz

My name is Bill Fitzgerald. I am 44yrs. old and am new to knife making. I have made a knife for myself and 3 for family members over the past year. The steel I have used is L6 from a gangsaw blade that came from our family sawmill that operated here in Huntsville for 58 years. I used information from one of Wayne Goddard's books on heat treat and temper. I am really happy with the edge holding ability, however, fit, finish and a beautifully ground blade have alluded me. I am going to have to bite the bullet and buy a KMG grinder or make a clone, my 4" wide belt on my Harbor Frieght belt/disk combo makes it a real challenge! I have had a lot of fun so far and am really thankful to have found this forum, where there is so much information to learn from. Here is one of the knives I made. It is L6 with nickel bolsters and pins and some mesquite I cut locally for the handle.

Attachments

• bfitz.jpg
    bfitz.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 41
Welcome to the forum! There is a wealth of info here to learn and a lot of friendly people to help you out. Great looking knife btw!

Welcome!
I am from Trinity, and I lived in Huntsville for college (10 years). The knife looks really good for a 3rd attempt. You will get a lot of help from the folks around here.

looking forward to seeing more.

Kevin Colwell

Welcome to the forum! It is a great place to learn and always a lot of friendly people that are willing to answer questions. I am a fellow Texan up in Amarillo. I too started off with Wayne Goddards book and started with his one brick forge for heat treating. It worked very well for many years until I finally built a bigger forge. Love the mesquite on your knife. It's great to use local wood! Good luck to ya!

Back