New slipjoint

Calvin Robinson

Moderator Christian Forum
This is the first knife I've finished since returning home from the Blade Show.
It's my Big Trappr model with two blades of D-2 tool steel,410 stainless bolster/liners and Imastag scales.This is the first one I've made with bushings that I made on my lathe,they worked out real nice,3/16"OD,3/32"ID and .001" thicker than my blade tang. As usual,questions,comments and constructive criticism welcome.
Ya'll enjoy!

Fine lookin knife! Do you think it walks and talks better with the bushing than those made without?
Phil

Calvin, beautiful knife! The stag goes great with that design.

Forgive my ignorance, but where do the bushings go in the workings; between the blades in lieu of a spacer? Between the liner and the blades? All 3? Thanks for your patience, I'm trying to absorb as much as I can from the fellas like you that make such beautiful knives.

Calvin, beautiful knife! The stag goes great with that design.

Forgive my ignorance, but where do the bushings go in the workings; between the blades in lieu of a spacer? Between the liner and the blades? All 3? Thanks for your patience, I'm trying to absorb as much as I can from the fellas like you that make such beautiful knives.
The bushings are what the blades pivot on. The pivot hole in the blade tang is 3/16",the bushing is 3/16 outside diameter,it goes in this pivot hole,the bushing has a 3/32" inside diameter hole,the 3/32" pivot pin goes through the bolsters of the knife and the bushing,I make the bushing .001" thicker than the blade thickness,when I pien the pivot pin I don't have to worry about locking the blades up by piening too much and I can easily hide the pivot pin because the bolsters are compressing on the .001 extra thickness of the bushings. As the blades pivot,they pivot on the bushings,not the pins.
If you google Tony Bose,you will find a tutorial about pivot bushing construction,it explains this concept and shows how it's done. He also has other tutorials about Slipjoint construction,these will be a big help to you.

The bushings are what the blades pivot on. The pivot hole in the blade tang is 3/16",the bushing is 3/16 outside diameter,it goes in this pivot hole,the bushing has a 3/32" inside diameter hole,the 3/32" pivot pin goes through the bolsters of the knife and the bushing,I make the bushing .001" thicker than the blade thickness,when I pien the pivot pin I don't have to worry about locking the blades up by piening too much and I can easily hide the pivot pin because the bolsters are compressing on the .001 extra thickness of the bushings. As the blades pivot,they pivot on the bushings,not the pins.
If you google Tony Bose,you will find a tutorial about pivot bushing construction,it explains this concept and shows how it's done. He also has other tutorials about Slipjoint construction,these will be a big help to you.

Calvin, thank you! Your explanation makes perfect sense to me; I've done similar in non-knife projects. If I am understanding you correctly, the primary advantage of using a pivot bushing is to you the knifemaker, not necessarily the user?

Appreciate your patience, I will check out Tony Bose as well!

Yes,that is why I use the bushings,so I can hide the pin successfully %100 of the time without locking up the blade where as without the bushings I am only successful about %50 of the time. This method has it's own set of difficulties to over come but to me the trade off is worth it. The user also gets a smoother operating knife as well.

Back