New Shop Light

Diamond G Knives

Always never seem to have a good white light where I need it during hand sanding and finishing, So I copied Nick Wheelers design and made my own. Thanks for the idea Nick!

God Bless
Mike

Attachments

• lamp2.jpg
    lamp2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 123
  • lamp1.jpg
    lamp1.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 100
Andrew
This started as a "lean to use the new welder" project after my Beautiful Bride gave me a new mig welder for Christmas. I had seen one that Nick Wheeler had made on one of his WIP.

Materials:
3' stick of 1.5" square tubing - $8.00
3' stick of 1.5"x1/4" flat stock - $5.00
4- 5/8 x3" bolts and nuts - $2.00
8" piece of thick wall 4"x4" square tubing - ?
500 watt light from Wal Mart - $19.00
1 can metal flake spray paint - $ 6.00

These prices are approximate since I had all the material in my scrap bin, just guessing what they would cost at your local Home Repair store. I did buy the light and paint.

First leg is 10" the second and 3rd legs are @ 5".

First I cut the pieces to length, then cut 3"strips of the 1.5" flat stock and welded to the end of the square tubing, on piece on either side to make a fork looking piece. then I inserted the next leg into the "ears" of the fork and drilled thru ears and square tubing.The bottom stick was welded to the base (4"x4" tubing) then the sections were put togather with bolts. I made a "T" section that would mount to the light using the bracket that came with it. The base needs to be a bit heavier, will scrounge some lead or will weld end plates to it and fill with sand.

Hope this helps.

God Bless
Mike

Isn't that light hot to work around? I have two of those on a portable stand I use outside and they put off a lot of heat.

Isn't that light hot to work around? I have two of those on a portable stand I use outside and they put off a lot of heat.

Same here. I bought a couple a few years ago for working under my car. They sure got hot.

Yes they do put out heat, but you can put them several feet away from the work, and Im sure you can buy smaller watt lights, this was a elcheapo from WalMart.I like haveing them back a bit as it gives a nice white light without too much glare. I have since filled the bottom base with sand and it is very stable.
Im setting mine on the shelf above my grinders so it's about 2' above my head, this seems to be the best distance for mr, and with it angled at the platen I dont really notice the heat as much, but it is cold here now, might make a big diffrence in summer!
God Bless
Mike

Well they cetainly do put out a lot of light, and light is important.
It appears that you are like me, on a limited budget, and try to find a way to get something done for as little as possible.
I honestly like what you have done. I could use that kind of set up by my grinder.
You've given me a couple of ideas I am going to try.

As I said Eric, it was easy for me as I had most of the material and got a new welder for Christmas so I "needed" a welding project. After using it a few times, Im amazed how much more acurate I am at the grinder now!!

God Bless
Mike

Back