New Pup from Missouri

gaelic forge

O.K., I'm a tad too old for a pup. Probably "old hound" would be more appropriate! Anyway, just signed up this afternoon and looking forward to giving and receiving here on the forum. If you have a chance drop by and have a look at the new site still in construction phase. I can also be followed on facebook at Gaelic Forge Knife and Leather Works.

Made knives several years ago the hard way with minimal tools and now am returing to the craft with power shop tools. Have been working with a Grizzly sander/grinder (yeah, I know, bad choice) and now that the house is finished will be putting together one of the NWG devices used by so many out there in knifemaker land. Learned smithing at the late Tom Clarks school in Potosi, MO. about 6 years ago and have applied that knowledge to forging some blades from spring steel. Most of my blades are cut from round sawmill blades (L-6) via a Smith torch with 0-1 or 00 cutting tips, cleaned up on 8 inch stone grinder, heat treated in the gas forge (annealed) then initial profiling on the sander, back to hardening and tempering, finish sanding, differential tempering and all the other steps it takes to make a knife.

Here at Gaelic Forge we are a one man band, as so many shops are, and perform our own leather work. I make belts, hand forged Renaissance buckles, sheaths, holsters and just about anything of a leather nature other than clothing and boots. Still setting up and tweaking the two shops, so output is still at the rookie stage but improving.

In my past life I was a professional archaelogist and have more than a passing interest in historic blades especially the Gaelic blades from 500 C.E. to 1700 C.E. I have taken the vow of poverty (again) and have decided to make knives and leather items.....but I'm having one helluva good time!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're a pup then I'm a veritable knife infant....welcome to KD and hope to see some of your work posted soon!

Welcome to the Land of Knives & Dogs etc...

That's a wild looking belt buckle you have there. I wish I could see it better? You might want to get enlarging pictures? Can you wear one of those with a pair of Jeans? Or does it hold up a Kilt type garment?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Welcome , Ive been on a few weeks and these guys are all great . Great advice and really nice people .
Welcome agan ,
Mike

Welcome to Knife Dogs. Hey we need to talk, we are almost neighbors, I live near Stover, Mo.
Dale

I'll put up a better pic on Facebook of the buckle. It was a commision for an SCA lady for a sword belt.

JDW....check your email. Yup, we are very close. I am on the other side of Haw Creek.

Back