New prototype sheath for a prototype knife

RandyR

KNIFE MAKER
All,
I have been looking for a retention system in leaher sheaths that gets away from straps, primarily for blades with a single guard. For a collector or show piece, they are fine but on a user they always seem to get cut to pieces by the blade over time. I thought I would show what I have come up with.

It is really quite simple, I just extended the welt on the edge side, added a notch for the guard, stitched to below the throat to let it move some and added a stap out of the way of the blade to keep it tight. So far, it seems to work quite well. The knife actually kind of snaps in and when the keeper is snapped, it is next to impossible to get it out. It needs a few tweaks but so far so good. I made it for a prototype of one of my new knife designs so I can test them both and see how they perform over time. Enjoy.
Randy

Attachments

• P1010068.JPG
    P1010068.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 78
  • P1010074.JPG
    P1010074.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 77
  • P1010076.JPG
    P1010076.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 71
  • P1010063.JPG
    P1010063.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 79
You've done a nice job, but there have been quite a few welt cam setup's before.Most had limited durability, I certanly hope yours works better.Dave:)

Unfortuntely, I have not seen any of the other versions. I have seen designs where people basically build a "bump" in the welt intended to lock over the guard, mostly in pouch style sheaths. They had a fixed welt and in a short amount of time they no longer engaged. In fact, wet forming would push them out of shape almost immediately. This one has a welt that moves away from the blade when it is inserted or withdrawn and a substantial amout of leather (and a bit of imbedded steel) to help hold its shape. I guess time will tell.

Very neat idea. I like it, but can see how the leather would wear over time.

How about drilling a 1/8" hole in the welt, right at the bump, and gluing in a small piece of micarta rod? It would give the guard something hard to ride against and make the leather of the welt just a bit stiffer without adding a lot of work on your part. Maybe even two short pieces spaced slightly apart?

Guys,
I probably did not do a very good job describing how it actually works. The locking area of the welt is not sewn down and actually moves away from the blade as the knife goes in and out. Just slight finger pressure on the extended tab moves it so the blade does not contact it. Certainly steel will win over leather every time when both try to occupy the same space and I have seen that when I try to build in a lock into a fixed welt. I believe this will alleviate most of the wear mechanism although there will still be some slight rubbing on insertion. The idea of some type of wear strip is worth considering if it does become an issue and I appreciate the thought.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm tracking, now. Sorta like a pistol holster with a thumb-break! Very neat.

If I could do leatherwork half as well as that, I'd steal your idea. As it is, I think you're safe for a few years! ;)

Hey , thats a great idea. I have always felt the same way about straps.

Good job , nice sheath and knife too

Thanks Dwane. I do believe straps have their use and sometimes design or need makes then very appropriate. However, they have given me trouble over the years. I am sure how they are put in has a lot to do with it and many guys are very good at designing them so they work well..
Randy

Back