New project!! Scagel style folder !

JD Brown

Hey all, this thread won’t be as in depth as the last but I would like to share the work in progress . This knife build is going to be a two blade scagel style folder with amber bone scales and no bolsters. I am building this for myself and I’m going to try a few new things along the way. So if it doesn’t turn out perfect than so be it , it’s going to be riding in my pocket any how. IMG_3890.jpeg
Spent the morning cutting , drilling and got started on the grinding. Should have all the pieces now…

Progress shot , first time ever free hand grinding a small blade and I tried to duplicate scagels convex-ish grind ! Not perfect by any means but I’m fairly pleased with it….also filed in the thru-nicks.IMG_3891.jpeg

I googled. Now I understand a bit better for a Scagel style folder. Convex ground blades, arrowhead shaped and pinned shield, drilled through blade (elongated hole) for finger grooves. Some of his original pocket knives are PRICEY!!! Dang!

I googled. Now I understand a bit better for a Scagel style folder. Convex ground blades, arrowhead shaped and pinned shield, drilled through blade (elongated hole) for finger grooves. Some of his original pocket knives are PRICEY!!! Dang!
Yessir you hit the nail on the head !! They for the most part we’re very utilitarian , just good ole’ folding knife !!

Well after assembly I broke both springs !!! They broke in the same exact spot so I’m guessing I left a little too much thickness to them and left them a little hard during the tempering ! So I pulled the knife apart, tossed the springs and put the rest in the drawer to be picked back up and worked on at a later date . I spent too much time on that one already when I have a couple guys wanting other knives …. No biggie , you live and learn!! Sorry guys ! Will pick this post back up when I have some time to dove into making a couple more springs !

Well after assembly I broke both springs !!! They broke in the same exact spot so I’m guessing I left a little too much thickness to them and left them a little hard during the tempering ! So I pulled the knife apart, tossed the springs and put the rest in the drawer to be picked back up and worked on at a later date . I spent too much time on that one already when I have a couple guys wanting other knives …. No biggie , you live and learn!! Sorry guys ! Will pick this post back up when I have some time to dove into making a couple more springs !
Thanks for sharing. Mistakes are learning opportunities. I have a PHD in Mistakes from Learn as You Go University.

Back