New holster

bladegrinder

I finished this pancake holster yesterday. it's for a Ruger SR40. this is my first pancake style holster for a handgun. it's got good retention and feels good wearing it. it's not perfect but I'm getting better!

DOroUwa.jpg

GEMM7FM.jpg

Nice work, Steve. Your stitching and your belt slots are really clean. I'd love a picture of the back side, so I can figure out how you made that fold down at the muzzle and worked that out. Again, very nice!

Thanks Kentucky, it started out as two pieces of flat leather from a paper pattern I drew out of the gun, then I stitched it up with a relatively new to me Cowboy 4500 sewing machine. then I submerged it in water for about four seconds, pushed the gun in -wrapped in cellophane- then put it in a vinyl bag connected to a vacuum pump. that sucks it around the gun pretty good, then I form it up a little better with a piece of polished antler.
the stitching should have been closer on both sides but more so on the trigger side.

The belt slots were put in with a 2" oblong punch and a 2# hammer-POW, that punch works great!

This was kind of an experiment with this gun, now that I see the finished holster and what changes need to happen the next should be better, that will be for a 1911 or a CZ75B.
I've stitched up quite a few knife sheathes so far but haven't used the vacuum trick on any yet, I don't really think it's needed for a knife sheath.

Steve, you did a GREAT job with that holster. I do see the sewing seam in the trigger area, but that still looks good. The way the muzzle end is folded over I thought it might be a single piece of leather, but you say two pieces?

Your idea of a vacuum pump is good. I've used one of those meal vacuum things that worked pretty good. I'll try a vacuum pump next time. That is one really good looking form fitting holster

AWwww, now I see the open bottom. The first photo looked like a closed bottom, hence my question. Darn that looks good and more wear makes it look even better. I like the looks of a "well worn holster", or sheath.

Back