New Here With Some Questions

Erdbeereis

Hello, I just joined the forum and had a few questions.

1. I'm looking to get belts for making knives on my 1x30 sander. Can you guys give me a recommended starter set? Also the amount of each belts I should get. I'm looking for belt recommendations for handle shaping, blade profiling, blade finishing, and bevel setting.

I'm looking to make smallish knives with about a 3-4 in. blade and a 4.5 in. handle. How long would the belts last for knives like these? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6?

2. Which type of belt do you recommend for each process of knife making? For example, Blaze, Trizact, Trizact Gator, Norax, aluminum oxide.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but for now, that's it. :)

Hello, I just joined the forum and had a few questions.

1. I'm looking to get belts for making knives on my 1x30 sander. Can you guys give me a recommended starter set? Also the amount of each belts I should get. I'm looking for belt recommendations for handle shaping, blade profiling, blade finishing, and bevel setting.

I'm looking to make smallish knives with about a 3-4 in. blade and a 4.5 in. handle. How long would the belts last for knives like these? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6?

2. Which type of belt do you recommend for each process of knife making? For example, Blaze, Trizact, Trizact Gator, Norax, aluminum oxide.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but for now, that's it. :)

I'll try to help.
1 I think you are asking what grits to buy? If you are starting out I would recommnd you stay away from a 36 grit belt to start. It will cut too fast. I recommend starting with a 60 grit belt. I would say get. 60,80,150,220,400,600 and then hand sand from there. You can buy finer grits than that if you like. BUy some 36 grit belts after you get the process and your machine figured out. On the amounts, get what you can afford, you will go through more coarse grit belts than fine grit cause they will be your primary belt.
I've heard it said to, use belts like they were free and you will get better results. We can't all do that, but here is what I do. I start the primary grind with a used coarse grit belt. Make 8-10 passes on each side knocking the 90 degree angle off that is so fond of removing grit from belts. Then I switch to the best belt I have on hand. If it's new so much the better. I make all my grinds with a 36 grit belt then as the blade gets down to the thickness of a dime at the edge, I switch to 80, then 150. Thats as far as I go down before heat treat because I start back again with 36 grit after heat treat. I do that because I have learned that a little extra thickness at the edge gives a margin of error for the little things that can happen during heat treat. (like decarb or warp etc)
2. I like Ceramic Blaze orange belts for coarse grit, trizact for medium grits and silicone carbide for finer grits. AO belts are a little cheaper but don't last long cutting metal.

Hope this helps, sorry 30 people looked at your thread and left without saying hi or helping a new member.

Last edited:
Thanks Ricky!

Do you think the 1x30 will be alright to start out with?

What type of belts do you use for handle shaping?

Thanks Ricky!

Do you think the 1x30 will be alright to start out with?

What type of belts do you use for handle shaping?

Many people start out with less. A 1X30 is a good way to start, many a fine knife has been made on one. and if you decide knife making is "your thing" then you can upgrade to a 2x72 at a later date.

For handle shaping I do the same as with steel. Hog material with a 36, smooth it a little with an 80 and go to hand sanding.

Back